EQ Exclusive Activities

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
amateurparent

Re: EQ Exclusive Activities

Post by amateurparent » 21 Jul 2016, 15:34

I send snacks to HP a couple times a month .. That has increased attendance.

DH shares with EQ .. So they shouldn't be exclusive due to lack of Snackage.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 21 Jul 2016, 21:01

This kind of stuff irks me to no end. :thumbdown: EQ on this one.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Joni

Post by Joni » 22 Jul 2016, 07:34

I've seen it done the other way around. There was an activity for only High Priests and their wives which was announced in Relief Society. You could sense all the women in the room looking around at each other to determine who was allowed to participate in this activity (I think it was dinner out at a nice restaurant) based on their husbands' priesthood ranking. I'm sure it was a good idea in theory, but someone did NOT think that suggestion through.

I don't see why the EQ and the HP need to socialize separately from each other, though it's possible I'm missing something. It's definitely a status symbol to 'graduate' into the High Priests at a younger age. DH is 42 and he's on the upper end of guys still in EQ, age-wise. (And he's likely to stay there for a while - having a heterodox wife makes it pretty unlikely that he'll be given any high profile callings. You're welcome, honey.) I feel pretty confident that God didn't intend His priesthood to be used as some sort of status symbol or ruler for measuring outward righteousness.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 22 Jul 2016, 09:44

Wow - Your HP group must have some budget. I could easily spend the HP budget for my ward at one meal just for me at Applebee's. Or maybe you have a wealthy and generous HPGL.

Joni

Post by Joni » 22 Jul 2016, 11:16

LookingHard wrote:Wow - Your HP group must have some budget. I could easily spend the HP budget for my ward at one meal just for me at Applebee's. Or maybe you have a wealthy and generous HPGL.
I think people were expected to pay for it themselves, not out of the ward budget. It was a social event but they announced it in front of everybody, making sure to stress that only some of the people listening were actually eligible to attend.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 22 Jul 2016, 11:34

Joni wrote
I don't see why the EQ and the HP need to socialize separately from each other,
Well we wouldn't want them to be like the Relief Society would we? I mean look at us clumped into cradle to grave groupings. Bleh.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 22 Jul 2016, 17:57

In large wards where it is hard for people with relatively similar lives to get to know each other, I get it - even if I don't like it as a general rule. Without that motivation (for strictly group-solidarity with such random application), I don't like it in the slightest.

Their loss - but, frankly, your characterization is a bit harsh, I think. (Unless, of course, they really were assholy in the way they responded.)
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 22 Jul 2016, 20:16

Ray wrote:

"Their loss - but, frankly, your characterization is a bit harsh, I think. (Unless, of course, they really were assholy in the way they responded.)"
They were a little too pleased to inform DH that the event was exclusively EQ.

I don't think they were thinking about how it was perceived. I think they were focused on the cool fact that they got to go do something fun -- and not everyone was invited. They got to turn someone down and it made them feel really happy and exclusive.

DH is just struggling right now. It hurts to watch. A little kindness goes a long ways. Because we try so hard as a family to extend ourselves on the behalf of others, it is hard sometimes to see that not reciprocated to someone who I love so immensely. It brings out my snark.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 22 Jul 2016, 21:58

AP wrote
DH is just struggling right now. It hurts to watch. A little kindness goes a long ways. Because we try so hard as a family to extend ourselves on the behalf of others, it is hard sometimes to see that not reciprocated to someone who I love so immensely. It brings out my snark.
Good for you girl. It's what every good mama bear does.

Roy

Post by Roy » 24 Jul 2016, 10:07

Many of you may already know that my family participates in several different community Christian churches.

One thing that I have noticed is that these other churches seem so open and willing to have us join in their activities. Yes, as non-members they may be looking at us as potential converts but it certainly doesn't come across that way.

In the LDS church there are sometimes ward picnics or parties that are advertised as "bring your friends and neighbors". This apparently does not extend to members of other wards as when I inquired I was told that it was really just a first ward activity.

I find this to be really sad. As former first ward members we know people and have friends in that ward. Since we moved out several years ago I imagine that there are new faces that I would like the chance to get to know. Why do these ward boundaries dictate our LDS social circles as much as they do?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13