EQ Exclusive Activities

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
amateurparent

EQ Exclusive Activities

Post by amateurparent » 20 Jul 2016, 20:48

So you all know that I left the church and my husband has stayed. He is struggling to connect socially in the ward without a wife to be there with him. I attend SM sometimes in order to support him .. But he is often on his own socially at church.

So .. Tomorrow night .. Some of the ward guys are getting together to watch the new Star Trek movie. Steve asked about it. He was told it was "Elders' Quorum Only" .. And Steve doesn't qualify because he is a HP.

I understand that they were focused on an EQ event. I get that. But a little kindness of letting him sit through a movie with them would've gone a long way. It would've been so kind and Christian to include him.

Assholes.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

unsure

Re: EQ Exclusive Activities

Post by unsure » 21 Jul 2016, 00:07

We had those too and I didn't really see the purpose. If a HP wants to come along then what's the problem? I always made sure to invite several HP in our ward because there were so many that were young (under 40). They wouldn't always show up, I think some felt they couldn't but others did and their company was always enjoyed. Age aside, I don't see the problem with including someone if they've expressed interest in going.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 21 Jul 2016, 04:46

That is terrible. He should just go anyway and tell them, "we just happened to also have a HP only activity at the same place."

I have also seen something like this with YM quorums. I have seen it said many times that activities are to "strengthen the quorum bond." But in YM, that quorum is an ever shifting group.

One of my sons has a February birthday and one has one in August.

They have both had many times where all of their friends were moved into a different quorum and were not allowed to do activities with them, or was in the same quorum and had to attend SS with a group that had none of their friends in. We encouraged them to make friends within the group they were in, but within the youth that isn't always easy to do.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 21 Jul 2016, 04:52

Labels that divide us and placing far too much importance on the rules/letter of the law. Their loss.
Of course I don’t want to get knocked down. But the single and sole solution to that fear is to not go anywhere where I can be knocked down. And is that not already being knocked down?
― Craig D. Lounsbrough

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 21 Jul 2016, 05:53

I've never felt the distinction between a HP and an EQ for social reasons was any good. I am young minded and would much rather be with the young bucks. The lessons would give me ample opportunity to share my own perception on life situations EQ members are only beginning to face. I think it would be good for HT to pair up an EQ member with a HP.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 21 Jul 2016, 06:31

I once had a real odd-ball ward member that was move to be a HP. I think it was because the Elders were bothered with having him and he was about 50 years old. He never held almost any position of responsibility as everyone was worried about the mess he would make of things (and he did a good job causing issues even without a calling).

He then told a friend of mine, "Hey, now that I am in with the HP's, do you want me to put in the good word to move you on over? I am sure I can pull some strings for you!" :lol:

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 21 Jul 2016, 07:47

There was a time where there was a distinction:
Elders: the "workhorse" of the PH. Home Teaching, etc.
70's: Missionary work.
HP: Genealogy & Temple work.

It wasn't that responsibilities didn't cross but they took the leadership roles.
I'm going off the rails with this next comment. I apologize in advance.

There was a time when once a HP you couldn't go back to being a 70.
Now they don't have 70's on a Stake level anymore. Most of the 70's are GA's, and were HP's.
I don't remember ever hearing an explanation.
Last edited by Minyan Man on 21 Jul 2016, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

Weaselgirl

Post by Weaselgirl » 21 Jul 2016, 12:20

amateurparent wrote: It would've been so kind and Christian to include him.

Assholes.
Yep.

unsure

Post by unsure » 21 Jul 2016, 13:49

SilentDawning wrote:I've never felt the distinction between a HP and an EQ for social reasons was any good. I am young minded and would much rather be with the young bucks. The lessons would give me ample opportunity to share my own perception on life situations EQ members are only beginning to face. I think it would be good for HT to pair up an EQ member with a HP.
I always thought it was because you HP talked about special things us EQ's weren't smart enough to understand. :D

There are a couple people in our ward that got called to HP in their early 30's and I just feel bad for those people. Now they "can't" go to EQ activities and I doubt hanging out with a bunch of guys who's average age is 30+ yours is all that exciting. (Sorry old guys :P ) Not to mention you'd have to answer all the questions in the HP lesson because you'd be the only one awake!

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 21 Jul 2016, 14:44

Being a HP is great.
No strenuous sports.
We're very loud because none of us can hear.
The kids are grown & out of the house.
And we're home by 8pm.

I do feel sorry for the young ones.