Tithing on surplus?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
jgaskill

Re: Tithing on surplus?

Post by jgaskill » 27 May 2016, 21:12

I have paid tithing on my surplus for years , I tried the other way on Gross and it never worked I just can't make my finances work . Tithing is a charitable contribution and I and I alone will decide how much to give. God does not need my money but I do believe in supporting the church and it's mission. Tithing on my surplus works for me and also for me is a 100% tithe . The Community of Christ members Tithe this way (formerly Reorganized LDS church) . The way I see it tithing is between myself and God and no one elses business !!!!!!!!!

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 28 May 2016, 05:01

jgaskill wrote:I have paid tithing on my surplus for years , I tried the other way on Gross and it never worked I just can't make my finances work . Tithing is a charitable contribution and I and I alone will decide how much to give. God does not need my money but I do believe in supporting the church and it's mission. Tithing on my surplus works for me and also for me is a 100% tithe . The Community of Christ members Tithe this way (formerly Reorganized LDS church) . The way I see it tithing is between myself and God and no one elses business !!!!!!!!!
I love this approach.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

Awakening

Post by Awakening » 02 Jun 2016, 07:22

Hi Bear,

I am going to share my personal story.....A few years ago, my husband went through a job change. We had been self employed and with the economy problems at the time, our business of 14 years changed dramatically and it became necessary to find other employment. We had been successfully self employed to this point. My husband took a job that was working out of town as we considered our next move. I stopped paying tithing and let my temple recommend lapse. The first time EVER in our married life of 30 years. 3 months into this, my bishop asked to meet with me. My hubby was out of town at the time. He was concerned about my recommend expiring and I told him why. We had a very nice and interesting conversation. I felt the spirit very strong within myself confirm that I was indeed doing the right thing for my family. My bishop however, told me that they could help us during this time but to still pay my tithing. I replied that if I didn't pay my tithing I would require no help and I felt that the Lord would rather me take care of my family needs instead of having the church. We agreed to disagree and I left. Of course, I was troubled and began looking into tithing more thoroughly than I had before. I had never heard of surplus or even the idea of not having surplus. When I came across the original tithing information I was again reaffirmed that I had made the right choice for me. I learned so many things about tithing that I didn't know. Through this whole transition of faith I am learning how important it is to rely on yourself for spiritual confirmation. Don't confuse with others expectations even leaders. I also want to say that I don't believe that God blesses people who pay more tithing. I feel very blessed these past years through our business and life changes and I have been blessed more than ever. Research this out. There are many resources that are reputable and you may be surprised as I was as you expand your knowledge on the idea of tithing. It was difficult at first to wrap my mind around ideas that I had never entertained before. I was very orthodox. As I have become more educated of our church and history, my beliefs have shifted a lot and I don't harbor the guilt and fear that I once did. It is very liberating and frees me to feel a much deeper love and personal connection with God. God bless!

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 02 Jun 2016, 07:59

Welcome awakening. Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear of the peace you have found. Please share where you can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 02 Jun 2016, 09:30

Awakening wrote:Hi Bear,

I am going to share my personal story.....A few years ago, my husband went through a job change. We had been self employed and with the economy problems at the time, our business of 14 years changed dramatically and it became necessary to find other employment. We had been successfully self employed to this point. My husband took a job that was working out of town as we considered our next move. I stopped paying tithing and let my temple recommend lapse. The first time EVER in our married life of 30 years. 3 months into this, my bishop asked to meet with me. My hubby was out of town at the time. He was concerned about my recommend expiring and I told him why. We had a very nice and interesting conversation. I felt the spirit very strong within myself confirm that I was indeed doing the right thing for my family. My bishop however, told me that they could help us during this time but to still pay my tithing. I replied that if I didn't pay my tithing I would require no help and I felt that the Lord would rather me take care of my family needs instead of having the church. We agreed to disagree and I left. Of course, I was troubled and began looking into tithing more thoroughly than I had before. I had never heard of surplus or even the idea of not having surplus. When I came across the original tithing information I was again reaffirmed that I had made the right choice for me. I learned so many things about tithing that I didn't know. Through this whole transition of faith I am learning how important it is to rely on yourself for spiritual confirmation. Don't confuse with others expectations even leaders. I also want to say that I don't believe that God blesses people who pay more tithing. I feel very blessed these past years through our business and life changes and I have been blessed more than ever. Research this out. There are many resources that are reputable and you may be surprised as I was as you expand your knowledge on the idea of tithing. It was difficult at first to wrap my mind around ideas that I had never entertained before. I was very orthodox. As I have become more educated of our church and history, my beliefs have shifted a lot and I don't harbor the guilt and fear that I once did. It is very liberating and frees me to feel a much deeper love and personal connection with God. God bless!
This part really gets me. I am on the same plan of being independent of outside help wherever possible. We have heard that the church wants us to work for the sake of our dignity, self-esteem etctera when members receive welfare. So, there is something negative about receiving it -- or at least, perceived that way -- so you can level the playing field by working for it (chapel cleaning, etcetera).

Further, the church preaches self-reliance as a basic principle. Yet, the church wants you to keep paying your tithing and be on their welfare system. That doesn't seem right. You put your own mask on first when there is a oxygen problem in the plane.

The second point in bold is the key, in my view, to finding peace in Mormonism even though you don't buy into it all. Great post above...you have to trust your heart!!
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576