Unwinding the WoW way

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
SilentDawning

Re: Unwinding the WoW way

Post by SilentDawning » 06 Apr 2016, 16:22

Web surfing is the best :)
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » 06 Apr 2016, 20:17

Sunshine and/or vitamin B.
Yoga.
Tai chi.

Reduce time on electronics.
“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau

NightSG

Post by NightSG » 07 Apr 2016, 09:23

Take up several martial arts. Nothing reduces stress quite like knowing you could beat the snot out of the people stressing you out if you had a good excuse.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 07 Apr 2016, 10:41

A good book.
Good sleep.
Sometimes waking up super early (5am-ish) and reading a book on the porch when mornings are warm enough helps to see the calm mornings before crazy life sets in, which also helps get to bed earlier and sleep well.

...I also like a good 1,000 piece puzzle.

As someone said above...trying new things helps refresh.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 07 Apr 2016, 23:31

Check the time of this email. I got up early today ..it's 2:31 am and I am relaxing as you say, Heber13, but without a book :)

SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 08 Apr 2016, 14:24

SilentDawning wrote:Check the time of this email. I got up early today ..it's 2:31 am and I am relaxing as you say, Heber13, but without a book :)

SD
2:31am!!!!!?? Well...it is usually quiet around then. Have some Grape Nuts cereal and enjoy the book! ;)
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 08 Apr 2016, 18:26

Heber13 wrote:
SilentDawning wrote:Check the time of this email. I got up early today ..it's 2:31 am and I am relaxing as you say, Heber13, but without a book :)

SD
2:31am!!!!!?? Well...it is usually quiet around then. Have some Grape Nuts cereal and enjoy the book! ;)
I wish there was a Like button!

azguy

Post by azguy » 12 Apr 2016, 15:54

I like the 'book' suggestion. Having a good book to read, that doesn't have anything to do with church, or philosophy would be great... something that is just a cool story that you can get wrapped up into. I know it wouldn't suit everyone, but I have read all of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" books (a.k.a. The Game of Thrones series). There is 5,000+ pages that will keep you busy for a while.

Also, a good hobby goes a long way. Find something you really enjoy doing and let that be your time to escape.

Mordimor

Post by Mordimor » 06 May 2016, 00:47

I completely understand. Find a specialty soda/drink that complies with what you're looking for. My husband really likes a pineapple "cider" non-alcoholic called Tepachito sold at world market, non alcoholic ginger beer, or a really good root beer. Personally I love a good sparking water with fruit and fresh mint. There are tons of compliant options, be creative and have some fun. Lemonade is always a good bet too!

Albertsons, world markets, Mexican markets, Asian markets and online can be great places to find specialty sodas and drinks. Many brew houses/tap houses that make their own beer sometimes carry a "house" root beer that can be seriously good.

Word of caution though: read labels carefully. There are many types of alcoholic soda available now.

Hope that helps!

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 06 May 2016, 08:19

For me it has been a combination of things, walking, reading, sleep, balance. I walk because I don't take the extra time to exercise. Walking in a park and looking at the sky and trees is a stress reliever. I also read sometimes while I walk. I read dt suzukis introduction to zen buddism with a forward by Carl jung, it changed my world view and spurred a road to inner peace. Getting enough sleep is important I'm a zombie without at least 7 hours. Balance is finding out what you need and getting of what you dont, I'm still working out the wobbles.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.