Unwinding the WoW way

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
SilentDawning

Unwinding the WoW way

Post by SilentDawning » 03 Apr 2016, 12:56

I've been experiencing a pattern for the last year. It seems as you get older and your means/assets/responsibilities grow, and as your body ages, the things you get "hit" with in life tend to be bigger, harder to deal with, and sometimes, more permanent than in your earlier life. I am sure none of us are exempt from this.

And that leads to "stress", or an unsettled feeling like you are not at peace. Sometimes the challenges are such that you are tried for a while, and then the situation passes, but there are lingering feelings of angst about it that impair inner peace. I have dealt with it a couple times, Once, I had a couple painkillers left over from a dental operation, and that helped me just forget everything, get a good nights sleep and wake up refreshed and ready to tackle the world. But that is not a permanent solution. There is no way I want to make chemicals part of my life's coping strategy. I have often been tempted to go out and drink alcohol. As Dean Martin said, he "feels sorry for people who don't drink because they wake up in the morning and that's the best they feel all day". But of course, I haven't had a drink in over 35 years, dating to a year before my baptism and I have not intention of blowing a 3 decade record. Nor do I have the intention to break my wife and children's hearts by breaking the WoW.

Exercise is not attractive to me for relieving the lack of peace...anyone have any suggestions on how to get back to Peace Avenue without using substances, or exercise or other means that are physical in nature? How do you relieve stress and angst when life hits you in bad places?

Note: after writing this it occurred to me I might have written something like it before here. If so, feel free to ignore me. If not, I'm interested in your perspectives. My memory is blank.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Minyan Man

Re: Unwinding the WoW way

Post by Minyan Man » 03 Apr 2016, 13:10

I am a big fan of exercise. I discovered the gym about 7 yrs ago.
I do the following things:
- treadmill.
- some weights.
- but mostly swim.
- lay in the sun (in summer).
- steam.
- and whirl pool.

Afterwards, I read & talk to people.
I'm not a sculptured god.
I feel relaxed, calm & it's something I do for myself.
My only regret is I wish I would of done it when my children were young.
When the Grandkids come over, they will go with me.

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 03 Apr 2016, 15:46

As a believer in the effectiveness of exercise I'd encourage that as an excellent way to help find peace, perhaps a less vigorous exercise? Maybe hiking or walking or yoga? Not sure where you live and how easymit is to leave civilization, but seeing the beauty of nature brings me tremendous peace.

For a long time I loved astronomy and bought a 12 inch telescope and dabbled in astrophotography. Very relaxing hobby but about as impractical as you can get - cold, dark nights far from mankind make for the best astronomy. Makes it hard to gdt up for work the next day.

Another suggestion that comes to mind is meditation or biofeedback.

Maybe a pet?

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 03 Apr 2016, 17:37

Exercise is number one.

Writing is a close second. Write letters to yourself. You will find yourself writing about stuff that you didn't even know were issues.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 03 Apr 2016, 18:19

Getting a pet is a good idea too.
We got a Golden Retriever & she was wonderful.
They are more human than dog.
She passed this past Sept (13 yrs old)

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 03 Apr 2016, 19:14

I have found that I really enjoy just walking and listening to various science podcasts has relaxed me quite a bit. Walking didn't used to do it for me - too slow - not enough exertion for the amount of time. But now that some of the kids have moved out and I am a bit less busy.

But I hear you. When you start estimating the number of years you probably have left and you think back that many years ago and it seems like yesterday, it is sobering.

I have "try meditating/mindfulness" on my list of things to do.

Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey » 03 Apr 2016, 22:11

In keeping with your non-excersise request, the hands down best 21st century solution is an "Isolation Tank" session.. Also known as a "Float Tank" . Most major cities have several establishments that operate similar to tanning salons (albeit a bit more expensive). Expect about 50$ per one hour float, but it is the best money you will ever spend on mental health (clearing your mind/unwinding).
Everybody can be great. Because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. ...You don't have to know the second theory of thermodynamics in physics to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love. ~Martin Luther King Jr.

“You have to carry the fire."I don't know how to."Yes, you do."Is the fire real? The fire? "Yes it is."Where is it? I don't know where it is." Yes you do. It's inside you. It always was there. I can see it.”― Cormac McCarthy, The Road

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Apr 2016, 03:22

I'm a walker, too. My wife and I try to go walking every day, and while I enjoy that time to talk and spend time with her, that's not the walking that does it for me. Walking by myself (or with the dog) is something I enjoy, and I often find peace in doing so. It works if it's just around the neighborhood, it seems to work better if I can get out in nature a little.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 04 Apr 2016, 08:53

I'm favoring the writing concept. Also, there is a park not far from where I live that no one knows about. It is beautiful. I held an event there, but it was fraught with problems due to government interference that sort of cankered the beauty for me when I go there. If I could get past that memory, it would be a good place to just sit and think without any distractions and get at peace with nature.

Maybe start slow with some laps in the pool when the weather gets better, or do some leg raises with weights at a very basic level...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Sd
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 06 Apr 2016, 16:05

Surfing. Even when the waves are small or junky, just being out in the water relives lots of stress.