Push the button or "Stay LDS"

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Sheldon

Push the button or "Stay LDS"

Post by Sheldon » 24 Jan 2016, 09:14

Would you push the button even if you knew you might not stay LDS? Kirbey lays it all out here in his latest colume

DarkJedi

Re: Push the button or "Stay LDS"

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Jan 2016, 09:25

I am a #1 - I would without a doubt press the button. Pre-faith crisis I may not have. Another home run by Kirby.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 24 Jan 2016, 09:31

I guess I have to say yes. I would push it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 24 Jan 2016, 09:40

I've already pressed enough buttons in my life to have a good idea of what lies behind most buttons. My reality only exists in my mind, nowhere else.

Maybe my question is which buttons I'll choose to unpress. These days I'm less concerned with what is truth and more concerned with what I do with whatever truths I currently cling to.

BuffetMormon

Post by BuffetMormon » 24 Jan 2016, 10:16

YES! Didn't even have to think about it. Why would anyone NOT want to push the button? (No, seriously, why would anyone NOT want to press it!?!)

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 Jan 2016, 12:22

BuffetMormon wrote:YES! Didn't even have to think about it. Why would anyone NOT want to push the button? (No, seriously, why would anyone NOT want to press it!?!)
Your ward must be made up of a different type of people than mine. I can name several in my ward who are in Kirby's third category. Likewise, I'd be willing to bet that there would be quite a few General Authorities who wouldn't push the button and some who would tell us not to as either an exercise of faith or because it is of the devil (from a certain point of view they have already told us not to push it).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 24 Jan 2016, 16:22

I don't care enough either way to press it. I have chosen my life as a heterodox but orthoprax Mormon intentionally, and the only thing that might change that radically would be if I learned, objectively, that the past and current leaders were consciously in on a hoax.

Even then, I still would love what I see as the core, unique theology - and I still wouldn't leave if my wife was committed to staying. I would choose her over leaving without hesitation, and I would not try to convince her to leave if my knowledge wasn't verifiable in a way she would understand and accept. I could feel close to God in the Church even with such knowledge, so nothing would have to change if changing would harm my wife.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 25 Jan 2016, 11:10

BuffetMormon wrote:YES! Didn't even have to think about it. Why would anyone NOT want to push the button? (No, seriously, why would anyone NOT want to press it!?!)
From the article:
I can also relate to the second group of people, those who wouldn't push the button for fear of what truth would do to their lives. This makes sense because people want to be happy.

If you're OK with the possibility of being wrong, you should stick with what gives you joy even if it means there's a possibility that you're going to hell. As long as it doesn't involve becoming a nuisance or a threat to others.
What if the button told you that there is no afterlife, no lasting meaning, that it is "dog eat dog" and then we die, our entire planet and race to be eventually wiped out by some cosmic event? Every trace that we were ever here gone? Then would you still want to know?

For me it is uncertainty that gives me a sense of wonder and hope as I explore the possibilities. To lose that would be depressing.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 25 Jan 2016, 12:26

Roy wrote:What if the button told you that there is no afterlife, no lasting meaning, that it is "dog eat dog" and then we die, our entire planet and race to be eventually wiped out by some cosmic event? Every trace that we were ever here gone? Then would you still want to know?
When you put it that way, it pushes me more to "Push the button" and my thought is so that I don't waste any of my limited life on things that don't matter.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 25 Jan 2016, 12:59

LookingHard wrote:
Roy wrote:What if the button told you that there is no afterlife, no lasting meaning, that it is "dog eat dog" and then we die, our entire planet and race to be eventually wiped out by some cosmic event? Every trace that we were ever here gone? Then would you still want to know?
When you put it that way, it pushes me more to "Push the button" and my thought is so that I don't waste any of my limited life on things that don't matter.
After that what truly matters? ;) When you answer that question you'll have the answer to the question of what buttons you are still unwilling to press.

What happens the next morning when you realize that the bills still need to be paid, the health of your youth is still forever gone, all the problems you had before you pressed the button are still right there dogging you, just as impossible to shake as they were before?

At least there's the perspective of knowing it's a hill of beans all the way down to comfort you as Job's friends come along and talk of eternal payoffs.

Buttons don't fix anything. Sure are fun to press though.
Slartibartfast wrote:Perhaps I'm old and tired, but I think that the chances of finding out what's actually going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say, "Hang the sense of it," and keep yourself busy. I'd much rather be happy than right any day.