A Bishops Post to his ward

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

A Bishops Post to his ward

Post by mom3 » 16 Nov 2015, 13:31

I just read this on facebook, I can't speak to the authenticity but I hope it is genuine. I need many more lights like this.
A portion of Bishop Baird's message to members of the Arlington Third Ward today:
"I call on all members of the Arlington Third Ward to be kind, caring and compassionate in all of your dealings with others. I ask that you take a careful look at your own personal circumstances and find ways to show a greater measure of compassion for those who are suffering today: whether they are refugees fleeing the horrors of war, or the innocent victims of senseless hatred, whether their beliefs or behaviors don’t line up perfectly with your ideals or the church’s stated standards, or whether they are experiencing something that feels like a crisis of faith. Please do everything you can to fulfill the second great commandment, and “love thy neighbor as thyself.”
Corinthians 13:
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman