Mormon Enough

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Mormon Enough

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Aug 2015, 05:10

Another article by my brother-in-law, delivered at Sunstone, about my father-in-law dying and being Mormon enough.

https://medium.com/@ungewissen/mormon-e ... 4993f030c2
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Re: Mormon Enough

Post by DarkJedi » 04 Aug 2015, 05:24

Thanks for sharing, Ray. It is a touching story, and it is good to be reminded about being Mormon enough. I sometimes do feel as though I am not.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

slowlylosingit

Post by slowlylosingit » 04 Aug 2015, 07:31

This is really beautiful! I have been going through things lately, wondering how I can soothe my family because of the struggles that I go through. I have tried to be silently "not Mormon enough", it doesn't work. I have tried being totally honest, not soothing. I just hope that one day I can find a way to be able to say "I am Mormon enough to participate in my Mormon family and our shared Mormon culture in a meaningful way." Thanks again for the share!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Our case was so insane, that if you made it up, nobody would believe it"--Gerald Conlon

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Aug 2015, 17:27

I knew, first-hand, most but not all of the information in the article.

On a personal level, I appreciate the things about which I didn't know personally - especially since I was one of the "brothers" who blessed my father-in-law to be able to die.

I know he would have wanted each of his sons to be okay with his passing and be part of the official letting go - and he was stubborn enough for me to believe, if it is possible, that he was allowed to linger long enough for Paul to be able to participate in an official way in letting him go.

I have no idea, ultimately, if that is a real possibility or not - but I like to think it is.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 05 Aug 2015, 21:44

What an amazing story, and so well-written.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 06 Aug 2015, 05:49

Wow.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
— Henry David Thoreau

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » 06 Aug 2015, 19:03

Thank you.
“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau

jaboc84

Post by jaboc84 » 10 Aug 2015, 21:33

Thank you for posting that. I really needed it, I have felt very out of place in my family lately. His story struck a chord with me.