What's the purpose of going to church?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
DarkJedi

Re: What's the purpose of going to church?

Post by DarkJedi » 01 Jul 2015, 13:14

Heber13 wrote:
Thoreau wrote:Short answer from the training we received a few weeks ago on keeping the sabbath day holy is to partake of the sacrament.
What can I expect my leaders to tell me when I take this at face value, and partake of the sacrament and leave church shortly after, since I am making sure I am keeping to the most important thing I was there to do?
Depends on leadership roulette to an extent. There's always that TR question about attending you priesthood and other meetings. My bishops wife often works on Sunday, her shift starts at noon. She comes to SM and leaves during SS. She holds a TR. We could say that's a special circumstance, and it is - but aren't all circumstances special? This is actually one of the reasons I support a two hour block (or less). I don't care which meeting we ditch - or shorten all three and have only 1 or 2 SM speakers (perhaps a youth and one other). Cut PH/RS to a 10-15 minutes with business only, no lesson. Or cut either PH/RS or SS.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 01 Jul 2015, 13:15

Rob4Hope wrote:
Heber13 wrote:
Thoreau wrote:Short answer from the training we received a few weeks ago on keeping the sabbath day holy is to partake of the sacrament.
What can I expect my leaders to tell me when I take this at face value, and partake of the sacrament and leave church shortly after, since I am making sure I am keeping to the most important thing I was there to do?

Since I can't take the sacrament, I'll give you a high five on your way out....and my way in. :wtf:

Oh wait....that means I can't keep the Sabbath holy? (I didn't think about that one! YIKES!)
I think you can keep the sabbath without taking the sacrament.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » 01 Jul 2015, 13:16

DJ...whenever they codify this stuff, it makes it interesting. I expect to keep the sabbath however I need to. :-)

RiverSong14

Post by RiverSong14 » 02 Jul 2015, 10:51

I used to go because I believed. Post faith crisis/transition...I go mainly because I have three teenagers who are all in presidencies, and a big part of their social life and friendships are there. I also teach primary with my husband, which I have a love/hate relationship with. I love the kids, but I hate the correlated lessons. To be honest, I have just been waiting for the right time to ask for a release.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 02 Jul 2015, 11:39

RiverSong14 wrote:I used to go because I believed. Post faith crisis/transition...I go mainly because I have three teenagers who are all in presidencies, and a big part of their social life and friendships are there. I also teach primary with my husband, which I have a love/hate relationship with. I love the kids, but I hate the correlated lessons. To be honest, I have just been waiting for the right time to ask for a release.
Thanks for responding. I think that is not too uncommon to be in that situation as parents.

I would guess, RiverSong14, you see value for the kids to be involved in things, and that makes it worth it. Is that right? The purpose really is for the benefit of the family in that situation, faith in sacrament or not, ordinances or promised blessings or belief in the other doctrinal stuff can vary from person to person if they believe or not, but the family still benefits by going and having the chances for all individual family members to work on their faith, however they work that out...perhaps in order to work things out.

Is that fair to say?

Does that include the parents...even if a FC/FT makes it hard to see any immediate reason to go personally, there is benefit to being with family in a "good" place?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » 02 Jul 2015, 17:34

My ward took two Sundays to cover the training in joint PH-RS. I wasn't there the first Sunday and didn't pay a lot of attention to the second half which I attended. My impression is that it is Church HQ directed and it was a training session conducted by general authorities, I don't remember which ones. We would watch the session which would be paused and a discussion/instruction by the bishop would take place.

My take away from what I did hear was we shouldn't be making lists of does and donuts.
We should examine what we do on the sabbath day and determine e if it is keeping with the spirit of the sabbath.
Skipping church to enjoy the Church of the Blue Sky, Green Trees, Canyons, etc. is not keeping with the spirit of the sabbath because we don't partake of the sacrament. Hence my comment that the reason for attending church is to take the sacrament. Everything else is secondary.
“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau

RiverSong14

Post by RiverSong14 » 04 Jul 2015, 10:28

Heber, with everything going on, on top of my shelf collapsing for the third time in ten years, it has been harder and harder to see the benefits being worth the pain and cognitive dissonance. My kids are very important to me, and I agree that they should be able to decide what they believe, but they are also still young and easily influenced. I would like to know what my kids are being "fed," and it honestly breaks my heart to think of them sitting alone at church.

I feel like it was too ambitious of me to think that I could be an example and help to others. I have reasoned that it is character building to associate with people who do not always think or believe the same, but knowing that they would completely reject me, and likely discipline me if I were to say how I truly believe and feel..it makes it really difficult to stay. It's depressing at times. I'm tired, and on the verge of leaving again. To be honest, I'm barely hanging on at this point.

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 04 Jul 2015, 18:26

Riversong14 wrote:
I feel like it was too ambitious of me to think that I could be an example and help to others. I have reasoned that it is character building to associate with people who do not always think or believe the same, but knowing that they would completely reject me, and likely discipline me if I were to say how I truly believe and feel..it makes it really difficult to stay. It's depressing at times. I'm tired, and on the verge of leaving again. To be honest, I'm barely hanging on at this point.
I relate to so much of what you wrote. Thank you for posting. I cannot fix it for me. I cannot fix it for you or anyone else. I can send you happy thoughts and cyber hugs tonight. Just know that this person is thinking of you and wishing goodness in your life.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

RiverSong14

Post by RiverSong14 » 04 Jul 2015, 20:33

Thank you, amateurparent. All thoughts and hugs are appreciated. :thumbup: