"Brave" video for early-returning missionaries

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Ann

"Brave" video for early-returning missionaries

Post by Ann » 09 May 2015, 15:30

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865628 ... cebook.com

Hope this link works. I'm interested in what y'all think. Maybe it's the great weather and Mother's Day getting me emotional, but I was crying by the end of it.
"Shall we not go on in so great a cause?"
Yes!
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

FaithfulSkeptic

Re: "Brave" video for early-returning missionaries

Post by FaithfulSkeptic » 09 May 2015, 16:41

Ann, thanks for sharing. As an early returning missionary myself, I know how humiliating it can be to return home early and how hard it can be to move forward with life.. This video has a great message!
I know of no sign on the doors of our meetinghouses that says, “Your testimony must be this tall to enter.” Dieter F. Uchtdorf, October 2014

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 09 May 2015, 16:45

This is the second thing I have seen recently from a quasi-official church source that addresses this issue in a wonderfully understanding and positive way.

Thanks for sharing it. This is an important cultural change that I hope gains even more traction.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 10 May 2015, 10:25

DW showed this to me. I hope that it helps make it more acceptable to come home early.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

cwald

Post by cwald » 10 May 2015, 14:05

Good stuff.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Roy

Post by Roy » 10 May 2015, 15:15

I was also somwhat surprised that they said in the clip that it didn't matter why you came home early - whether it was physical, mental, or moral.

I can't imagine being in a more embarassing spot than coming home from a mission early due to some sort of moral transgression. Those that get hurt or have mental illness during their mission are given some small leniency as they were not responsible for their ailments. Not so for the moral transgressor. For this reason I believe it takes extra courage to include them in this effort - that their service was acceptable and that they still have value in this church.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 13 May 2015, 21:57

I thought you meant THIS "Brave" video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFnHqXNrJmc

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 14 May 2015, 06:06

Very funny.