Differences - Chieko Okazaki

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

Differences - Chieko Okazaki

Post by mom3 » 06 May 2015, 11:00

I know we have a Chieko thread, but this was too good to get lost there. I did cross post it in Quotes of the day.
"… Differences are just that — differences. If we think of them as differences to be fixed, then they become weapons with which we wound each other. If we think of them as delightful, then they become a bouquet of bright blossoms.
… When we know what our differences and similarities are, then we can capitalize on them happily. Do you know what you like to do at church? What kind of service nourishes your soul? What kinds of contributions you want to make? Of course you do. And I’ll bet you know what makes you absolutely bored or terribly anxious, too. Knowledge of yourself is the strongest foundation for acceptance and tolerance. When you know about your own differences and value them, then you can see the personal preferences, and idiosyncracies, and, yes, downright eccentricities and irritating qualities of others and say, “Well, of course. She’s different in her way, just as I’m different in mine. There are probably things I do that drive her crazy, too.”
Whose job is it to recognize these differences? Whose job is inclusion? It’s yours! It’s mine! This is a job for every sister in the Relief Society. It’s not just a job for the leaders or the teachers. It’s not just a job for the visiting teachers. Make accepting differences your job."
-Chieko N. Okazaki
Circles That Include
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Re: Differences - Chieko Okazaki

Post by DarkJedi » 06 May 2015, 12:48

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

cwald

Re: Differences - Chieko Okazaki

Post by cwald » 10 May 2015, 18:51

Sister Okazaki is definately one of the good guys.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby