Handshakes and Drawn Swords

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Willhewonder

Re: Handshakes and Drawn Swords

Post by Willhewonder » 26 Apr 2017, 19:26

I dunno DJ, that may be a bit of a stretch. But, in view of the original items posted by DBMormon, if it can't be stretched that far, maybe just because Alma said it doesn't make it so. But, although I think there is a lot more to say about this, I didn't mean to hijack the thread and make it about sexual sin. I just meant to say that perhaps we get more excited about sexual sin than God does and if we didn't, maybe we could forgive Joseph Smith a little easier.

Still, I appreciate the perspective, and also the sensitivities about it you mentioned. Thanks.

DarkJedi

Re: Handshakes and Drawn Swords

Post by DarkJedi » 27 Apr 2017, 07:01

I actually don't have a problem with JS,the idea that he could do what he did and still be a prophet, receive all kinds of revelations, etc. actually bring me hope.

In the end all scripture was written by men, and it's mostly their opinion even if taken quite literally. If I believed Alma was a real person I wouldn't agree with him much and I certainly wouldn't want to be in his ward. I think very much the same about Nephi (the first). As to modifying Alma by picking verses, it's by far not as much of a stretch as what we do to Isaiah or even Moroni 10 for that matter..
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction