Weaving through other's misunderstandings....

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
DBMormon

Re: Weaving through other's misunderstandings....

Post by DBMormon » 20 Apr 2015, 21:02

Awakening wrote: Bill Reel is another I have appreciated so much. His podcasts as well as his insights shared have been really validating and comforting and insightful.
Thanks for the kind words.... It means so much to hear that especially in the midst of some of the faithful speaking ill of me and my work.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 20 Apr 2015, 21:26

in the midst of some of the faithful speaking ill of me and my work.
Ouch. Are you taking some hits right now? That just makes this Mamma Bear really mad.

My thoughts and prayers will go with you.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Awakening

Post by Awakening » 21 Apr 2015, 21:17

Ok, i dont know how yo do the fancy quote box but Bill you say, "Thanks for the kind words.... It means so much to hear that especially in the midst of some of the faithful speaking ill of me and my work."

Bill, you are doing so much good for so many, faithful speaking ill of you and your work? I'm sorry to hear that. I've listened to many of your podcasts. In fact another one today....Robert Keely which again was so good. How do you navigate this with your family? That is my hardest problem right now. I feel a bit frozen and hardly go to church at all. I'm so concerned about my kids at home ranging from ages 6 to 9. I want them to have some religion but I so don't want them to be indoctrinated the way I was. How do you and your wife work with this?
Last edited by Awakening on 21 Apr 2015, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 07 Jun 2015, 08:59

Awakening wrote:Ok, i dont know how yo do the fancy quote box but Bill you say, "Thanks for the kind words.... It means so much to hear that especially in the midst of some of the faithful speaking ill of me and my work."

Bill, you are doing so much good for so many, faithful speaking ill of you and your work? I'm sorry to hear that. I've listened to many of your podcasts. In fact another one today....Robert Keely which again was so good. How do you navigate this with your family? That is my hardest problem right now. I feel a bit frozen and hardly go to church at all. I'm so concerned about my kids at home ranging from ages 6 to 9. I want them to have some religion but I so don't want them to be indoctrinated the way I was. How do you and your wife work with this?

Sorry, I just saw this Awakening. How I do it.

1.) I have my immediate families support and the support of others who email me weekly.

2.) My authority is within myself and the Holy Ghost. I have faith in JS, the BOM, and the Church but I don't over extend that faith beyond where truth takes me.

3.) I feel called to open eyes and to help others see out of the box and for those who do see out of the box help them feel not alone and help them know they can navigate this and still believe.

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 07 Jun 2015, 09:01

mom3 wrote:
in the midst of some of the faithful speaking ill of me and my work.
Ouch. Are you taking some hits right now? That just makes this Mamma Bear really mad.

My thoughts and prayers will go with you.
On facebook, my uncle n law chimes in, disagrees, but never supports his need to fix me with substance. On some of my posts a few members of FAIRMormon have made comments. A prominent scholar in the area of polygamy has said some mean things privately to me simply because I disagreed with him. and My local ward and stake seem to be hesitant to let me closer than arms length. Besides that though all is well in Zion. I also fear with Dehlin, Rock, Calderwoods, Van Allens (almost), Kate Kelly and others being sent packing there likely isn't as big a divide between me and what the church considers apostate anymore. I no longer feel "safe"

Roy

Post by Roy » 07 Jun 2015, 12:44

DBMormon wrote: I also fear with Dehlin, Rock, Calderwoods, Van Allens (almost), Kate Kelly and others being sent packing there likely isn't as big a divide between me and what the church considers apostate anymore. I no longer feel "safe"
I am sorry DB. You have my complete respect as someone trying to reach out to the disaffected while leading with faith. I imagine it is quite hurtful to have been seen with the sinners and the taxcollectors and to have been judged guilty (or at least untrustworthy) by association. The church has need for poeple like you (and the Givens', Bushmans, Kloostermans, and others) to bridge the gap in love.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Jun 2015, 05:29

Fwiw, DB, there is a huge difference between you and the others on that list - and it's an important one.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 08 Jun 2015, 06:46

Ray DeGraw wrote:Fwiw, DB, there is a huge difference between you and the others on that list - and it's an important one.
The question though is could every leader tell that difference. I am no longer confident that they can. For example yesterday at Church I was asked If my wife and I could meet with the Bishop on Tuesday. I am 99% sure it is a calling (primary teacher is my guess.... how do I say no?) and yet my stomach dipped a little worried that Salt Lake has asked him to talk to us.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 08 Jun 2015, 09:20

DBMormon wrote:
Ray DeGraw wrote:Fwiw, DB, there is a huge difference between you and the others on that list - and it's an important one.
The question though is could every leader tell that difference. I am no longer confident that they can. For example yesterday at Church I was asked If my wife and I could meet with the Bishop on Tuesday. I am 99% sure it is a calling (primary teacher is my guess.... how do I say no?) and yet my stomach dipped a little worried that Slat Lake has asked him to talk to us.
I sure hope it is a primary calling.

I do see what you are saying. You have had others that you could clearly say, "I am coming from a WAY more faithfully oriented perspective than Dehlin, Rock, ..." Several of those are being removed from the church, leaving you looking (at least to a TBM) that you are a bit more "out there".

I can only say to keep doing some podcasts that show you are not trying to tear the church down.

I can personally say that if they do come after you, I will be coming "out" and speaking (not under a pseudonym, but in the clear) that the church is hurting themselves and being overly sensitive to any criticism. To this point most people that know me know me in the ward and stake know that I had a FC, but I am still very orthodox and they think I am back to the way I was a few years ago. But other than online I have kept it to myself.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 08 Jun 2015, 10:32

I agree with Ray, there is a difference in level of professed faith and in the level of open criticism between what I read from you and what I read from the others you mention, Bill.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction