The Eiffel Tower Effect

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

The Eiffel Tower Effect

Post by mom3 » 31 Mar 2015, 15:33

Today marks the 126 anniversary of the opening of the Eiffel Tower. The tower is significant to me because it represents the place of my birth. The tower is significant to others because of it's mystique. What does this tower have to do with StayLDS? A lot in my mind.

Three summers ago, I saw the Tower up close and personal. I had seen it when I was an infant but who recalls those things. To make our trip more "real" we stayed in an apartment in Paris. No hotels and English speaking for us. We visited as many sites as we could. Notre Dame Cathedral, The Arc de Triomphe, Versailles in all it's glory, the famous Paris Opera House, and the Louvre. Okay so we didn't tour the Louvre, I was too hung up on the outside gardens. We took the train to Normandy and cried our eyes out as we walked the beaches and towns involved in D-Day. It is still overwhelming to me.

We hit the Eiffel Tower somewhere mid-way. It did nothing for me. We took the obligatory picture, us kissing, it up behind us, walked underneath, shrugged and walked away. The Tower, that is now synonymous with love -Paris and such was kind of a fluke thing. It was built in 1887 - 1889 as the entrance to the World's Fair. Even before it was built it was scheduled to be dismantled by 1909. Paris is filled with remarkable art, architecture, sculpture, bridges, churches. This thing is a metal object. However, visitors to the World's Fair fell in love with it. It became iconic because of people. Everyone wanted their picture with it, wanted to climb the stairs and see the view. France couldn't tear it down. Now it's a souvenir, a postage stamp, a symbol of Amore (love). For me, I could take it or leave it.

In the LDS world (and yes in life, too), big unsuspecting towers become the masthead of the ship of Zion. For most of us here the towers are problematic. We'd be fine if they never existed, we can't figure out how they became so important, we even know which monument we would rather have as the mascot of our society instead of the tower. Question is would I throw out all of Paris because of a large metal structure that means nothing to me? No. The world and people need Paris. We need the art, the architecture, the vision. So I always flash quickly past the kissing photo, then move slowly onto the golden Opera House, the passionate Notre Dame buttresses, the Versailles gardens, and the Arc de Triomphe.

Others can keep their Eiffel Tower if they want, I just know that Mr. Eiffel had planned to take it down.

Image Image
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

metalrain

Re: The Eiffel Tower Effect

Post by metalrain » 31 Mar 2015, 21:40

good analogy- resonates within my reasoning as well. thanks!

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 01 Apr 2015, 04:30

Nice Mom - very nice.

afterall

Post by afterall » 01 Apr 2015, 15:55

Thank you!

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 Apr 2015, 17:02

Excellent perspective.

Thank you!
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 01 Apr 2015, 17:12

Nice analogy mom, now there's a few leaning tower of pisas that could be toppled... :)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.