Supporting others in their journey

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
DBMormon

Supporting others in their journey

Post by DBMormon » 23 Feb 2015, 18:00

Went to Las Vegas this past Friday as I was invited by a LDS member who is putting together a group of members who are navigating questions. There was a wide spectrum from a significant other there to support their spouse to members who simply enjoy deeper discussions to those who are struggling within the faith paradigm. We started at 4pm and went inside at 9 PM and continued to about 11PM. 32 - 37 people. Everyone seemed grateful and appreciative. and while it didn't solve everything I felt like all walked away better than they came. Only about half knew each other and some came as far as 6 hours away. Soooooo cool!

Bill

mom3

Re: Supporting others in their journey

Post by mom3 » 23 Feb 2015, 18:17

:thumbup: We need more of these, clearly, thank you. I know we can't fix everything, but you do so much.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Ann

Post by Ann » 23 Feb 2015, 19:32

DBMormon wrote:Went to Las Vegas this past Friday as I was invited by a LDS member who is putting together a group of members who are navigating questions.
Very cool! How did the group come together? Did the member do this solo? Leaders aware? How was it publicized? Etc. Thanks!
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow » 23 Feb 2015, 20:25

Wow! This sounds awesome. I'm in Las Vegas. I wish I had known about it. I definitely would have liked being there. That's a great idea! I'm sure somebody could have a full-time job traveling around to different unorthodox 'congregations' like this.
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6139

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 24 Feb 2015, 09:30

Ann wrote:
DBMormon wrote:Went to Las Vegas this past Friday as I was invited by a LDS member who is putting together a group of members who are navigating questions.
Very cool! How did the group come together? Did the member do this solo? Leaders aware? How was it publicized? Etc. Thanks!
There is a family where several of the adults and teenagers listen to the podcast. They wanted to help others have validation and have support to make it work if they want. He called me and invited me to come to Vegas and meet their family and help promote a LDS support type group where they all could meet every 3 months or so. This was completely off the radar of the Church entity and was absolutely faith positive while validating issues.

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 24 Feb 2015, 09:32

Holy Cow wrote:Wow! This sounds awesome. I'm in Las Vegas. I wish I had known about it. I definitely would have liked being there. That's a great idea! I'm sure somebody could have a full-time job traveling around to different unorthodox 'congregations' like this.
They are going to do more of these. here is the contact details so you can get in the loop if you wish
Las Vegas **SUPPORT GROUP** - Clay Bloxham = cblox7 AT gmail DOT com
email him and get in on the next go around

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 24 Feb 2015, 12:08

Very glad it went well.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Awakening

Post by Awakening » 17 Mar 2015, 11:59

Bill, do you know of any groups like this in Arizona? I am near Phoenix. Thanks! Also, thank you for your podcasts. I really appreciate your honesty and candor.

DBMormon

Post by DBMormon » 20 Mar 2015, 03:37

I am unaware of any support groups in Arizona. That said my family and I are moving to St. George. I leave Monday and should be there by Wednesday. St. George is not too far from arizona.... so if I can do anything from there or even travel to do something like that in your area, I am sure I can make it happen.
Bill