A Little Light In the Dark

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mom3

A Little Light In the Dark

Post by mom3 » 30 Jan 2015, 21:43

Weary this week? Little hopeless? This blog post lifted me. I thought it might help others. Enjoy.

http://janariess.religionnews.com/2015/ ... ent-467008
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

afterall

Re: A Little Light In the Dark

Post by afterall » 31 Jan 2015, 07:29

I loved the article and especially this in the comment by Carrie: " You reminded me I am in charge of the charity in my life".

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 31 Jan 2015, 09:29

:thumbup: :D
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 31 Jan 2015, 09:52

It reminded me a bit (and I think I posted in the comments) that some of our "faith crisis" is a bit of a first-world luxury. In some countries religion helps with just staying alive and they would probably look at many of the posts of those of us with faith crisis as a bunch of mental masturbation. I read one blog post talking about how the church was piloting a training film talking about the church welfare film. Many of those from very poor countries thought it was saying that "the money is about to come your way!!" - which was not the point. When some of those gave feedback to the film were told that was not the takeaway, they commented, "We are losing membership to the catholic church because they will bury you when you die, but the LDS church does not so they don't feel they have a choice." That was sobering to read. That is not a thought I often dwell on often - or really not at all.