Do any of you drink coffee?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Heber13
Site Admin

Re: Do any of you drink coffee?

Post by Heber13 » 20 Mar 2015, 08:06

SamBee wrote:Coffee hardens your stool and can rip your guts to shreds as a result... this is putting it delicately. Piles and rectal bleeding (blood in poop) are not something most people desire.
I'm not saying it is good for people...but about 80% of adults in the US drink it...like 3 cups a day on average for 150 Million Americans, and then there is the worldwide consumption. Not everyone is walking around with rectal bleeding. I don't think it is that bad.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 20 Mar 2015, 09:01

And over fifty percent have piles in the States. They can be caused by other things, such as pregnancy but I'm sure a good proportion of that's down to coffee consumption. The figure's probaby higher due to people not reporting an embarrassing complaint.

I think if the church pointed out it can rot your backside and provoke migraines, epilepsy, heart trouble etc fewer investigators would stick with it.

Seriously, giving up coffee's one of the best lifestyle choices I've made.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 20 Mar 2015, 09:19

SamBee wrote:Seriously, giving up coffee's one of the best lifestyle choices I've made.
:thumbup: Seriously...that's awesome!
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

startpoor

Post by startpoor » 20 Mar 2015, 14:11

Sambee, coffee is not "bad" for you. The worst thing about it is the sugar and cream. It has been shown to significantly reduce certain types of cancer, can help migraines and is strongly associated with decreased mortality. However, for some it causes heart arrhythmias, gi upset, and headaches. I've never heard of it causing GI bleeding.

If it was bad for you, then I'm glad you were able to give it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happiness (n.) The state of being in compliance with Mormon norms, regardless of one’s actual resulting emotional state

George, Sr.: Faith is a fact. No, faith is a facet. I almost said faith is a fact.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 24 Mar 2015, 12:40

startpoor wrote:Sambee, coffee is not "bad" for you.
Yes, it certainly was "bad" for me.

My father's side has had big problems with cardio-vascular problems. Many of them have taken fatal heart attacks in middle age (fifties, sixties), and strong coffees (even one or two of them) were giving me heart palpitations. A few months after giving up coffee, the heart palpitations were gone, and I've never had them since. This was one of several reasons it was good to give it up (I gave up taurine too, by the way) - another being lack of sleep.

if I'd continued drinking the stuff, I've no doubt I'd be setting myself up for the big one. I drank that crap for decades, dread to think the damage it's done.
how about we focus on all the fat and sugar people consume?
I agree, that IS a major problem. I'm not a great fan of certain artificial additives either such as monosodium glutamate (MSG - often found in Chinese takeaways), aspartame (artificial sweetener found in diet drinks), taurine (Red Bull, energy drinks) and various others. Aspartame, as found in Diet Coke/Pepsi etc, is arguably worse for you than sugar - although there is great controversy about it. (I just don't like the taste of it.)

I would also add salt, starchy foods and carbs to fat and sugar. All of these are things our bodies actually need, but not in the quantities many people eat them in, in the west. And that's the difference - certain types of fat, sugar, salt, carbs are all things we need, but coffee isn't one. We can live fine without coffee.
There is just as much or more caffeine in a mt dew compared to a cup of coffee and its loaded with sodium and sugar...but yet that is more acceptable to drink?
Mountain Dew isn't widely drunk around here (although one can buy it in some outlets). Our ward doesn't tend to serve caffienated drinks at socials - it would have the children flying around the room...
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

startpoor

Post by startpoor » 24 Mar 2015, 17:24

Sambee, I apologize for my wording. My meaning was coffee is not "bad" for humans. In general. It can be bad for an individual. Like it was for you. It can be bad if taken in excess. You were making claims about severe gi issues and ascribing them to coffee and I just don't see it. Maybe it was true for you. I don't think it's true for the general population. If you know of a reputable article, please bring it to my attention. In general though, it is healthy if consumed in moderation. Tea is healthy, but to those predisposed to kidney stones, it's bad. Same principle.

Happiness (n.) The state of being in compliance with Mormon norms, regardless of one’s actual resulting emotional state

George, Sr.: Faith is a fact. No, faith is a facet. I almost said faith is a fact.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 25 Mar 2015, 08:46

There are three main problems with coffee as far as I can see it (and two more later on):

* It is pretty acidic. This can lead to problems with acid erosion of teeth and the gut.
* It is a diuretic. This leads to dehydration, and hardening of the stool etc.
* It is a stimulant. This is where the heart and brain trouble (headaches, epileptiform phenomena, depression) come in, and like any other stimulant there is always a come down. The insomnia caused by it comes with its own problems.

Like anything else addictive, it produces withdrawal issues too, even if consumed regularly in small amounts.

The two other problems are to do with the growing of the stuff:

* The coffee cartels have an appalling record of paying the growers properly, despite charging top dollar at the other end.
* It is an appalling crop for the soil, like tobacco. It takes four years to produce beans, and wrecks the soil for other plants to be grown later.

NightSG

Post by NightSG » 25 Mar 2015, 12:01

SamBee wrote:Coffee - proper bean stuff - smells gorgeous.
If coffee tasted like it smells, the Word of Wisdom would have been burned and all traces eliminated the second anyone besides the Prophet read it, because everyone would drink it and no one would listen to an order to stop.
But so do cigars and pipe tobacco.
Many tobaccos have a wonderful smell when properly cured. If you can still find anyone who smokes Lucky Strikes, take a sniff of an unlit one. Doesn't taste like that, and if it did, I'd say the same as with coffee.

startpoor

Post by startpoor » 25 Mar 2015, 12:17

These things can become problems only if one is drinking an inordinate amount of coffee per day and/or predisposed to heartburn. Withdrawal causes a headache for maybe a couple days. I'm not sure if you're still trying to argue that coffee is bad in general or just bad for sambee. Compared to soda, energy drinks, Gatorade, fruit juice, sweet tea, etc, it is quite healthy.

I'm sure there is unfairness in how it is grown, bought and distributed. I have zero training in ecology. But I don't think that is unique to coffee.

BTW I enjoy the debate in the spirit of friendliness and learning. If I am coming off rude or insensitive I will time it down. I'm just trying to argue: all things in moderation (except cigarettes), there are very few really "bad" foods, only bad when used in excess, and that the word of wisdom is a product of antebellum America with less relevance today. I also am trying to say that some people are more prone to harm by certain foods than others are. Like you and coffee. However I am open to where coffee is shown to be generally unhealthy.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 26 Mar 2015, 10:23

NightSG wrote:
SamBee wrote:But so do cigars and pipe tobacco.
Many tobaccos have a wonderful smell when properly cured. If you can still find anyone who smokes Lucky Strikes, take a sniff of an unlit one. Doesn't taste like that, and if it did, I'd say the same as with coffee.
Bizarre how cigars and pipe tobacco smells wonderful, but cigarettes usually smell vile in my experience. I'm told it's to do with saltpeter.