Do any of you drink coffee?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
SamBee

Re: Do any of you drink coffee?

Post by SamBee » 04 Nov 2014, 03:37

Vitamin B and iron.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roy

Post by Roy » 04 Nov 2014, 11:47

journeygirl wrote:This is a pertinent topic for me lately too. I suffer from chronic fatigue and nothing I've tried has helped. I'm so tempted to use coffee, but my husband would flip out and I live in a heavily Mormon area so I'm hesitant to get caught. I've most often used eating to recharge my energy but that usually means high sugar content too. I don't get why using sugar as a drug would not get me in trouble when it is a lot worse for a body than coffee. Anyway, if anyone has healthier suggestions for increasing energy, please share. I've tried exercise and raw foods diet but it doesn't help.
You could take caffiene pills for short term periods where staying awake is super important. My dad gave me some when I was preparing for a long drive.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

startpoor

Post by startpoor » 04 Nov 2014, 12:10

journeygirl wrote:This is a pertinent topic for me lately too. I suffer from chronic fatigue and nothing I've tried has helped. I'm so tempted to use coffee, but my husband would flip out and I live in a heavily Mormon area so I'm hesitant to get caught. I've most often used eating to recharge my energy but that usually means high sugar content too. I don't get why using sugar as a drug would not get me in trouble when it is a lot worse for a body than coffee. Anyway, if anyone has healthier suggestions for increasing energy, please share. I've tried exercise and raw foods diet but it doesn't help.
If you haven't seen your doctor about it yet, go see him/her. There are lots of possible reasons--anemia, depression, low thyroid, etc that could cause it. If everything is normal, keep up the diet and exercise and eat foods without simple sugars: they will make you very tired indeed :)

Update on my situation: I have been drinking coffee and tea regularly still and I maintain that it has blessed my mental well being more than avoiding it has, but it has definitely come at a cost--it still troubles my wife. I wouldn't recommend starting if it would upset a spouse deeply. I might switch to caffeine pills--that is a good suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happiness (n.) The state of being in compliance with Mormon norms, regardless of one’s actual resulting emotional state

George, Sr.: Faith is a fact. No, faith is a facet. I almost said faith is a fact.

journeygirl

Post by journeygirl » 04 Nov 2014, 16:06

startpoor, sorry to hear you don't think you'll be able to continue something that has been so beneficial to you. I agree though, that hurting our spouses isn't worth it. I might try the B6 and iron pills or caffeine pills for certain times. I usually like to try more natural approaches, but as I said they haven't been helping.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 05 Nov 2014, 03:12

I used to take caffeine pills at university. I worked through the night feeling VERY tired but unable to go to sleep. Gave me killer headaches too.

Vitamin B/Iron worked for me, but it's not a quick fix, takes a few days. To do with oxygen in the blood. But good news - no comedown.

Second medical check up. I#'ve been feeling tired last few days - turns out it's a minor virus going round, noticed last night and so my immune system's been taking a beating.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

startpoor

Post by startpoor » 07 Feb 2015, 12:37

Quick update:

This is something I still struggle with to some degree. I stopped drinking it completely several weeks ago because it just was not okay for my marriage, no matter how much I justified it. Now that I have laid off, things in my marriage have improved a lot. I still haven't mentally gotten past this issue, because I maintain that coffee and tea are both enjoyable to drink and come with good health benefits, and for me, help me study and engage better with the many people evaluating me in my program. My wife even knows that it makes no sense and acknowledges that, but is simply unable to permit it. I have taken advice from above posters and just supplemented with caffeine pills. Which does help some. Does it make any sense? No. Coffee and tea bad. When I drink herbal tea, I am asked: "does that have caffeine in it?" Diet Coke, good. Caffeine pills good. Decaf coffee okay? I don't know because I don't care enough to ask. Why would I pay $2 for a cup of coffee without getting a mental boost from it? I've heard that tannins in coffee are bad, but like most foods ie aspartame, that are proclaimed to be bad for you, it isn't really. Unless you ingest loads of it in one sitting. Way more than you could get from drinking several pots of coffee. And no proven long term effects either. Anyway, I'm rambling. Just have to write down my thoughts sometimes. Anyone else going through a food crisis?
Happiness (n.) The state of being in compliance with Mormon norms, regardless of one’s actual resulting emotional state

George, Sr.: Faith is a fact. No, faith is a facet. I almost said faith is a fact.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 07 Feb 2015, 13:19

We are a religion of fear. Most religions are. I am not a coffee drinker, but my husband is. He has been a caffeine addict since youth. He finds the caffeine kick of coffee more long lasting and less brash. That said he would need caffeine to survive.

I remember a fast and testimony meeting a few months ago, maybe a year ago, where our previous bishops wife was so grateful that Elder Whomever of the Seventy, who had just visited us for Regional Conference, had said that "Caffeine isn't in the Word of Wisdom", she went on to espouse how we add things to the rules that don't need to be. I had to chain myself to the chair to keep from running up to the pulpit next, shouting a huge AMEN to her comment, and then begin to list all the things that aren't in the 89th section or in the this covenant and that covenant.

Peace of marriage is important though. One of the leading Marriage Guru's, Jon Gottman, states that supporting or fulfilling your spouses dreams is the key to long lasting happy marriages. Maybe on days when you are just heading up the wall, take a minute and pat yourself on the back for giving her a dream gift.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » 08 Feb 2015, 19:47

I would say don't try to justify or analyze the WoW based on contents of the drink. If it is coffee brewed from coffee beans or tea brewed from tea leaves it is against the WoW. The WoW doesn't say caffeine, it doesn't say tannins, it says hot drinks which has been interpreted to mean coffee and tea. Sure you can nitpick and strain at gnats and hot versus cold, green tea, decaf, etc. In the simplest interpretation it's the tea plant and the coffee plant.
“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 08 Feb 2015, 20:16

Thoreau wrote:I would say don't try to justify or analyze the WoW based on contents of the drink. If it is coffee brewed from coffee beans or tea brewed from tea leaves it is against the WoW. The WoW doesn't say caffeine, it doesn't say tannins, it says hot drinks which has been interpreted to mean coffee and tea. Sure you can nitpick and strain at gnats and hot versus cold, green tea, decaf, etc. In the simplest interpretation it's the tea plant and the coffee plant.
Or, Brigham Young could have been just as wrong about that as he was Blacks and the priesthood.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 09 Feb 2015, 14:52

I ran across this the other day and this seems as good a place as any to share it. I'm linking as a URL so as to not make the page scroll on for forever:

http://i.imgur.com/p9StFJL.jpg

Kinda puts things into perspective. ;)