Do any of you drink coffee?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
DarkJedi

Re: Do any of you drink coffee?

Post by DarkJedi » 23 Sep 2014, 19:33

(I have had my first colonoscopy, not due for another for a few years. Great advice, though.)

Closer to the topic, this has caused me to reflect and ponder a bit about tea. I did drink iced tea quite a bit BC (before the church). It was the drink served with dinner at my house. Like most TBM types, after joining the church I assumed iced tea was taboo because it's tea. Remember at that time missionaries also taught that caffeine was part of the WoW. As I have pondered this lately, though, I have thought that when BY specified coffee and tea he was specifying hot drinks. I do realize that most iced tea (but not all) was once hot, I watched my Grandma make it countless times, but I now fail to see how iced tea falls under the WoW. Thoughts?

Side note: my very TBM wife has recently started to openly drink Mountain Dew. My oldest and I are amazed at this, quite frankly.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 23 Sep 2014, 19:40

Side note: my very TBM wife has recently started to openly drink Mountain Dew.
Watch out Jedi - She's going Rogue. Next thing you know she'll want ice with that Mtn. Dew - from there everything is down hill. :P
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 23 Sep 2014, 19:50

mom3 wrote:
Side note: my very TBM wife has recently started to openly drink Mountain Dew.
Watch out Jedi - She's going Rogue. Next thing you know she'll want ice with that Mtn. Dew - from there everything is down hill. :P
:lol: She usually drinks it at work to stay awake - I don't know that she has ice available there. I've known for a few months that she drinks it, but she was hiding the fact. I think she realized I knew. In truth I like to think that my grad school psychology major daughter, my missionary son, and I have had some impact on the whole idea that it's not really about the letter of the law. (See my comments to Ray's post in A simple But Important Step http://staylds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5903)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » 23 Sep 2014, 22:46

Porter wrote:Another meaningful question:

Did you have your colonoscopy every 10 years after age 50?

This is definitely nobody's business. But I might point out that President Hinckley and Elder McKonkie both died of colon cancer which was preventable. Those deaths became everybody's business. So did a man who lived 2 doors down the street die of colon cancer and his sons were my sons good friends.

What a great oportunity missed to prevent literally thousands of deaths and suffereing.

Ready for TMI?

I just turned 60. I've been on the five year plan. Small polyps have been found. Guess I need to start drinking coffee. ;)
“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau

Joni

Post by Joni » 24 Sep 2014, 05:24

I drink Diet Coke in front of my DH - it makes him uncomfortable, but he knows I struggle with constant tiredness because HE snores, so fair is fair.

Last week I bought a bag of mixed flavor gourmet jelly beans. For like the first time ever I ate the coffee flavor ones instead of picking them out and throwing them away. I grew up TBM, so this was a big step for me :) I doubt it will go any farther than that, though.

SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed » 24 Sep 2014, 05:34

I don't drink coffee, tried it once when I was younger, but not a big fan of the taste.

On the other hand I start every day with a Monster Energy Drink. How that is any better than a cup of coffee is anyone's guess, but according to the legalities of the WofW I'm in the clear. This is why so many things we do as a church just makes me laugh sometimes. Somehow stimulants from one brand are ok, but if it has the word coffee in it, big no no.

Also, my wife is a convert who grew up drinking iced tea. Since all my own faith nonsense has started, she has gotten a bit more lax about this and grabs an iced tea once a week (which i gladly share). So far no lighting strikes (fingers crossed). :smile:

Katzpur

Post by Katzpur » 01 Oct 2014, 08:42

I really, really, really hate both coffee and tea, but I like something SOOOOO much worse on the list of bad things a Mormon can drink: wine. My sister and her husband are 100% inactive in the Church, and drink wine. I have a glass of wine when we get together with them for Thanksgiving and another at Christmas. I have not admitted this "sin" to my Bishop, because I have a hunch it would result in my temple recommend being revoked. While I don't particularly enjoy going to the temple, and only go a few times a year, I don't like the idea of someone being able to tell me I'm "not worthy" over such a trivial little thing as two glasses of wine a year.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

Charity

Post by Charity » 03 Nov 2014, 00:33

I love coffee. I would be a coffee drinker if it were not for the church. I have convinced my husband that Pero (a non coffee alternative---made from barley) is not the same (it is not, it barely has a similar taste) and he has come to terms with it. However, when we are staying at a hotel I do give in and will put a shot of it in some hot chocolate or sneak a cup with my breakfast. But those cups are few and far between.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 03 Nov 2014, 17:46

Energy drinks like Monster and RedBull are worse than coffee. Taurine should be illegal so should Aspartame.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

journeygirl

Post by journeygirl » 03 Nov 2014, 18:17

This is a pertinent topic for me lately too. I suffer from chronic fatigue and nothing I've tried has helped. I'm so tempted to use coffee, but my husband would flip out and I live in a heavily Mormon area so I'm hesitant to get caught. I've most often used eating to recharge my energy but that usually means high sugar content too. I don't get why using sugar as a drug would not get me in trouble when it is a lot worse for a body than coffee. Anyway, if anyone has healthier suggestions for increasing energy, please share. I've tried exercise and raw foods diet but it doesn't help.