Do any of you drink coffee?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
LookingHard

Re: Do any of you drink coffee?

Post by LookingHard » 09 Feb 2015, 15:19

nibbler wrote:I ran across this the other day and this seems as good a place as any to share it. I'm linking as a URL so as to not make the page scroll on for forever:

http://i.imgur.com/p9StFJL.jpg

Kinda puts things into perspective. ;)
Makes sense to me.

In kind of a "what the hell do I even matter let alone what I drink." Boil carrots - OK. Boil potatoes - OK. Boil peas - OK. Grind up roasted peanuts, sugar, and oil - OK. Boil coffee beans and drink - On the highway to hell.

:-)

But in answer to the question, I don't drink it.

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 11 Feb 2015, 00:30

startpoor wrote:Does it make any sense? No.
I wouldn't say I have any kind of food crisis...but no...the Word of Wisdom as we are taught it in the church makes zero sense to me.

But...in all honesty and seriousness...I don't think you can discount the blessing you have expressed about your marriage. That is real. Perhaps not explainable to WoW...but very real and very worth noticing.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 11 Feb 2015, 10:39

I grew up drinking coffee sporadically, and still drink herbal tea and non-alcoholic brews. The WoW is still one of those that is definitely a "up for your interpretation" mixed with how stringent your local leadership might be if they knew mixed with who cared what the neighbors think a the caveat which it sounds like you got ultimately how it affects you and your family.
Before I was a member I cleaned out a drinking fountain that the office staff would pour their old coffee into. It was always getting clogged. The drain pipe was always filling up with this light brown sludge.
My mother decided after drinking coffee for 30+ years that realizing that if she didn't drink her normal two cups in the morning she would have a headache. She tapered off to drinking hot water instead as she felt it was healthier.
I give these two examples not to influence decicion, but just because they are on my mind. They've influenced my decisions.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 11 Feb 2015, 10:54

LDS_Scoutmaster wrote:I grew up drinking coffee sporadically, and still drink herbal tea and non-alcoholic brews. The WoW is still one of those that is definitely a "up for your interpretation" mixed with how stringent your local leadership might be if they knew mixed with who cared what the neighbors think a the caveat which it sounds like you got ultimately how it affects you and your family.
Before I was a member I cleaned out a drinking fountain that the office staff would pour their old coffee into. It was always getting clogged. The drain pipe was always filling up with this light brown sludge.
My mother decided after drinking coffee for 30+ years that realizing that if she didn't drink her normal two cups in the morning she would have a headache. She tapered off to drinking hot water instead as she felt it was healthier.
I give these two examples not to influence decicion, but just because they are on my mind. They've influenced my decisions.
The thing that gets me is how many (most) Mormons feel that "I am so much healthier than those gentiles drinking coffee, tea, and alcohol" and at the same time they are obese. Doctors are screaming that the #1 issue (at least in the US) is obesity, not coffee drinking. I had some minor health issues that cut my exercise last year and my BMI tipped into the "obese" category. I am MUCH more worried about that than if I happen to down 2 cans of diet coke a day. And I am almost back into "just overweight" BMI. Yeah!

startpoor

Post by startpoor » 11 Feb 2015, 16:11

Lookinghard, congrats on being overweight! ;)

Heber, absolutely. Probably not a blessing directly related to the WoW itself, but from earning my wife's trust. It's a pretty tangible way to show her I love her, and for her to see my efforts as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happiness (n.) The state of being in compliance with Mormon norms, regardless of one’s actual resulting emotional state

George, Sr.: Faith is a fact. No, faith is a facet. I almost said faith is a fact.

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 11 Feb 2015, 21:53

startpoor wrote:Heber, absolutely. Probably not a blessing directly related to the WoW itself, but from earning my wife's trust. It's a pretty tangible way to show her I love her, and for her to see my efforts as such.
Thanks for sharing...it truly, truly touches me to hear you express that. Thanks for your example. I am kinda overwhelmed by the emotion of that expression of yours. What a great faith story...doing something that makes no sense, but doing it anyway out of love and seeing blessings from doing it for the noblest of reasons.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 11 Feb 2015, 22:50

I was talking to my kids at dinner last weekend, and they observed that we aren't "as Mormon" as some of the other families in the ward. I asked why that was, and it seemed to me that every example they cited was about me! One was that I eat coffee ice cream (I don't drink coffee though), and we all drink herbal tea (not my husband, but to each his own). I also quote the Godfather, but I think that just makes me an American over 40. Anyway, mostly what it boiled down to was that the most Mormon families don't seem to have anything else to talk about but Mormonism. Which sounds incredibly dull. There was also a heavy Utah component to being "more Mormon," another disqualifier for me.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 12 Feb 2015, 09:28

I think everyone thinks the next family over is more Mormon than theirs but if we got to know them better we might see they are just "regular folks" just like us. Of course we all know a few Flanders families in our respective wards but we might be surprised there as well? Nah. ;)
hawkgrrrl wrote:Anyway, mostly what it boiled down to was that the most Mormon families don't seem to have anything else to talk about but Mormonism. Which sounds incredibly dull.
I've found that to be the case in many walks of life. Branching out helps make us well rounded.

LDS_Scoutmaster

Post by LDS_Scoutmaster » 12 Feb 2015, 15:35

Congrats lookinghard, it's a struggle as we all get older to be healthy. What's healthy? Certainly not the buddy bar that I ate for breakfast. But I agree, there is double standard? with keeping the WoW and yet on the other hand being way off in some other area.
Hawkgirl, what's a normal Mormon family? I don't think we're normal but we do not live in utah, so I guess it's relative. We're not normal like calfornia Mormons I would guess. But like nibble said everyone's family is different.
Startpoor and heber13 good points. There's so many outcomes to our actions and not just the "I'm doing what's right for me"
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6311&start=70#p121051 My last talk

We are all imperfect beings, dealing with other imperfect beings, and we're doing it imperfectly.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 13 Feb 2015, 10:09

Hawkgirl, what's a normal Mormon family? I don't think we're normal but we do not live in utah, so I guess it's relative. We're not normal like calfornia Mormons I would guess. But like nibble said everyone's family is different.
That's what I pointed out to my kids. They weren't saying we weren't a "normal" Mormon family just that we were somehow "less" Mormon, so that qualifier may go more hand in hand with the not having anything to talk about but Mormonism.