Do any of you drink coffee?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
startpoor

Do any of you drink coffee?

Post by startpoor » 15 Sep 2014, 07:55

Hi, I'm trying to organize my thoughts on a tricky subject for me right now--a little background--I have had a very difficult time with the church lately. All I can see is the childish and cultish aspects of it. While I am not in a position to distance myself from the church physically, I tried to distance myself from it's influence in my personal life. During a particularly bad week, I had my first cup of coffee. It wasn't that great. But I kept drinking it, and soon noticed a difference in my day. I have been keeping up with the demands of my program more, have been enjoying myself more and making more friends. I am also learning a lot more and find myself less distracted. However, I am totally honest with my wife about this and all things, so I told her and it has been a huge trial for her despite the fact that she knows I have no testimony of a restored gospel. I thought she would eventually accept it, but it has gotten worse. My bishop, my dad, and a close friend have all told me to suck it up and stop drinking it. It will be a painful loss, but it is what I probably will do. Just curious if any of you have had experiences with this.
Happiness (n.) The state of being in compliance with Mormon norms, regardless of one’s actual resulting emotional state

George, Sr.: Faith is a fact. No, faith is a facet. I almost said faith is a fact.

DarkJedi

Re: Do any of you drink coffee?

Post by DarkJedi » 15 Sep 2014, 08:28

I never liked coffee, but I was addicted to caffeine before joining the church. I do currently drink caffeinated drinks (I prefer Dr. Pepper) but not coffee. However, I don't believe coffee is necessarily a "hot drink" referred to in the WoW (in other words I believe Brigham Young was wrong about that). If you're asking about caffeine withdrawal, yes I experienced it and it's just like what I've heard other people describe - headaches, irritability, depression, and sleepiness for a few days. The only thing I know to about is wait it out.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 15 Sep 2014, 15:09

I don't drink coffee but I think it smells good. I do drink fresh (vs bottled) iced green tea 2 or 3 times a week and I drink it because I think it's good for me. Many years ago I probably had a mild dependency on caffeine which I didn't enjoy - and ironically which I developed on my mission. I've heard people argue that coffee can be considered healthy also, although I haven't done any personal research on the topic.

In a TR recommend interview if someone asked me if coffee is against the word of wisdom I would tell them they should decide themselves.

Roy

Post by Roy » 15 Sep 2014, 15:35

I have told my wife that if I were alone in antartica I would drink coffee with no guilt.

However, I live amongst other people. The Mormons I know would think VERY bad of me for even taking a sip. The non-Mormons might also be watching. They know that I am Mormon and that Mormons don't drink coffee. I prefer to keep them thinking that I follow the tenets of my faith (although in my own way). I tell my children that even though it is banned for Mormons - it is not overly harmful and is enjoyed by many many good people.

I do not drink coffee for appearance sake and I feel no shame in that.

There can be a very real fear that a non-believing spouse will start to go off the deep end in coming home drunk, having affairs, or abandoning the family. I have spent 5 years assuring DW what behavior she can count on from me and what she cannot. Essentially I do not pay tithing and enjoy R-rated movies. All the others stuff is consistent (garment wearing, church attending, calling holding [within reason], WoW, Chastity, etc.). She is now in a better and more secure place.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 15 Sep 2014, 15:58

Agree with much of what Roy said. Drinking coffee can be seen as the first step towards apostasy. My belief is that there is probably a somewhat high number of coffee drinking temple recommend holders. I've met several people, including family members, who drink coffee and hide it. I also know several who drink decaffeinated coffee and believe that complies with the WofW.

My wife isn't thrilled about me drinking green tea but after several months of observing she realizes I'm not breaking any other major commandments. This isn't the question of the OP but I also enjoy a well made R rated movie and I happen to know my SP watches R rated movies and drives too fast.

cwald

Post by cwald » 15 Sep 2014, 16:38

Yes.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 15 Sep 2014, 17:09

No. I wouldn't regardless, since I hate the smell and know WAY too many people who are addicted and can't quit no matter how hard they try.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 15 Sep 2014, 17:57

No, although I like Postum and Inka a lot. I could be a coffee drinker if it wasn't programmed in my DNA to NOT drink it.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 15 Sep 2014, 20:33

I also know several who drink decaffeinated coffee and believe that complies with the WofW.
A sister in my mission did, with the president's knowledge, so I kind of figure that must be OK. But I don't drink coffee. I do like coffee ice cream. Coffee's not my cup of tea. :)

church0333

Post by church0333 » 15 Sep 2014, 21:43

I have tried it a few times, different types and I like those that taste like hot chocolate, out of the same dispenser at the gas station as the hot chocolate, but I feel no big compulsion to drink it very often. I don't feel very guilty but won't do it with others around. Coffee by itself doesn't appeal to me much at all.