are garments getting your panties in a bunch, too?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
silentstruggle

Re: are garments getting your panties in a bunch, too?

Post by silentstruggle » 12 Jul 2014, 14:06

Yet another area thing in the church: designed by old men.

amateurparent

Post by amateurparent » 12 Jul 2014, 15:49

I've been waiting for the Church to issue a "Temple Teddy".

I used to wear garments 24/7. When I don't wear them all the time, I am happier with myself and happier with the church.
I have no advance degrees in parenting. No national credentials. I am an amateur parent. I read, study, and learn all I can to be the best parent possible. Every time I think I have reached expert status with one child for one stage in their life, something changes and I am back to amateur status again. Now when I really mess up, I just apologize to my child, and explain that I am indeed an amateur .. I'm still learning how to do this right.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 12 Jul 2014, 16:42

they don't really reflect technological advances, except in materials.
Even the materials are terrible in hot or humid climates. OK for cold places like Utah, but terrible in places like AZ, FL, or Singapore. They do make bamboo ones (I am told) but they are only available online, and you have to have a doctor's note.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 12 Jul 2014, 18:09

There's no material that makes wearing an extra layer of clothing comfortable in hot humid climates.
hawkgrrrl wrote:you have to have a doctor's note.
If that's true. L... O... L...

What's that? There's a fabric type that makes garments more bearable in hot and humid climates? :x :x :x That defeats one of the purposes of the garment!!! GET A DOCTOR'S NOTE.

Insane if true.

Also... LDS church coming out with edible undies???
All other materials are un-bear-able in the heat. Make it so, number one.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 13 Jul 2014, 07:19

If the temperature goes above 70' F / 20' C then I find them uncomfortable. It would be unthinkable for me to wear them somewhere sticky/humid like Brazil or Malaysia.

What about the idea of a single layer garment? I'd like something that I would wear as a top, but it would be all together and the marks hidden on the inside.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Agaetis

Post by Agaetis » 13 Jul 2014, 20:54

Let's be honest, the church could exponentially increase it's tithing revenue by removing the garment requirement. Either that or bring in Victoria Secret and Calvin Klein designers.

Multiple and replenish the earth... 'am I right?

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 13 Jul 2014, 21:23

Here's a clearcut area where the lack of women in decision-making bodies kills us. Men don't realize that garments are to women what cold showers are to men.

Forgotten_Charity

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 14 Jul 2014, 05:33

It's been a struggle during the spring and summer in the hot and humid area i live especially once the dew point gets past 70. Ive gone from bot seating hardly since the endowment to 3 changes a day because if sweat. Cotten, Corbin, mesh, and the ones I refuse to wear anymore --the dreaded extra support- worse them bicycle shorts.

Cotten--too itchy--makes skin even dryer and more itchy , Corbin to hot but feels better, mesh works ok but still needs changing a few times a day, extra support-- your own personal sauna, complete with movement regulation.

I've worn better, but at a cost of $20-40. Hope there are better options in the future for hot and humid places.

Roy

Post by Roy » 15 Jul 2014, 15:06

nibbler wrote:What's that? There's a fabric type that makes garments more bearable in hot and humid climates? That defeats one of the purposes of the garment!!! GET A DOCTOR'S NOTE.
Related to this - If the church has some modified garments that are available to people in certain situations (green for military, different fabric for medical issues) then why not allow all members to have access to these garment variations?

If they are acceptable for persons serving in the military for example - why not leave it up to the individual member to determine if their personal situation warrants such an "individual adaptation."

Why would we want members to prove medical need with a doctor's note?

I assume if we were more relaxed in this area we would see much more variation in how individuals choose to wear and honor their garment/covenants. I just don't understand why that would be a bad thing.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Shawn

Post by Shawn » 15 Jul 2014, 20:42

cwald wrote:It's creepy this is even an issue. ... we're taking about underwear rules and requirements.
We're not talking merely of briefs, boxers, panties, and bras. For many people, garments mean more than that and this is a serious issue.