are garments getting your panties in a bunch, too?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
SamBee

Re: are garments getting your panties in a bunch, too?

Post by SamBee » 05 Jul 2014, 11:55

I'd like to buy military garments - white ones show up every mark and stain whether from the body or outside it.

Is it possible for me to get them?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Dax

Post by Dax » 06 Jul 2014, 16:45

Sambee...my brother has to use his military id when he orders his so I do not think you could but I'll ask him. Mom3 I love your hopeful spirit in so many matters. I will try to have a little more hope that garments will change or at least how as a culture we wear them. Until that miraculous day I will hope for the changes that Hawkgrrl mentioned in her by common consent post.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 06 Jul 2014, 17:21

LDS.org says family members can buy military garments for their relatives who are active duty - so I suppose if you were less than fully truthful you could buy some, Sam.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 06 Jul 2014, 17:25

I have thought about this topic a bit and over this weekend I looked at online ordering of garments. (My wife usually does this.) The thought has occurred to me, what about different fabrics? Over the years I have tried some of the different fabrics and they each do have different characteristics, and some I definitely don't like and some do "ride up" more than others. Are there some fabrics that irritate/annoy less? I usually just wear the cotton/poly (again, my wife has been buying them for me) but I do recall that some of the others are less "sticky" in the hot humid summer we have in these parts.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 06 Jul 2014, 18:28

Do not. I repeat. DO NOT get the "extra support" kind. They are billed as having wicking capabilities and drying quickly. The claim is that they also reduce friction and chafing. I thought they'd be perfect to allow me to wear garments for my aforementioned sports activity. Well here's a review:

These things are HOT. I think I'd sweat in them standing still outdoors in 20 degree weather. The material is plastic-y and it doesn't help matters that they double up on the material that covers certain parts of the male anatomy. This doubling up of the extra thick spandex like material makes them absolutely unbearable and I feel like I need to adjust ...things... constantly. If they wick sweat I wouldn't know it. For the most part they cause me to sweat profusely. Highly uncomfortable.

I wouldn't recommend the nylon mesh kind either. If there's any humidity whatsoever these are uncomfortable, they just get wet and sticky. The nylon mesh tops are the ones that I constantly have to pick out of my armpits and pull back down my arms.

Cotton gets soaked in the summer and stays soaked until you take them off.

I'd probably go dri lux as my favorite. It's a happy medium between cotton and poly. I have all kinds and if any of these are clean these are the ones I go to first.

I don't consider the pros and cons for winter wearing, to me the only time the garment is inconvenient is in the summer.

Edit: I just had to post a review that I read on the "extra support" garments. It's sooooo true:
When I first put them on they felt great, if only a bit warm. It was a cool day so I wasn't concerned at first.

Then as I started to walk around they began "the creep". At first it was a slight shifting down the thighs. Then the downward slide became an unstoppable plunge to their 'happy spot', where they stayed. Each time I hitched them up to again 'gird my loins', they would swiftly work their way back down. They also do not breathe as well as advertised. Despite an outside high temperature of 54 degrees, I was sweating in my pants like a cold Mojito on a hot New Orleans evening.

This 'happy spot' placed the crotch support approximately 3 inches below where it should have been.
Spot on.
Last edited by nibbler on 07 Jul 2014, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 07 Jul 2014, 04:18

Thanks for info on military garments. I think they'd fit more with what I wear
and because they're not white, won't look dirty after five minutes.

(First garments I got turned blue when I washed them, thanks to sock
going in with them)

Regarding fabrics, definitely seasonal. I think I like them best in
winter when I wear several layers. In summer, I find even the thin ones
hard to wear with the heat.

Did you know people used to make their own? They keep quiet about that! Remember also when garments first came out, they were similar to mainstream underwear.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 07 Jul 2014, 05:26

SamBee wrote:Did you know people used to make their own? They keep quiet about that! Remember also when garments first came out, they were similar to mainstream underwear.
I did know people used to make their own, and that's partly where the "authorized pattern" thing comes from. As to mainstream, when they first came out mainstream underwear were much different than today's mainstream underwear.

My Introduction

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 07 Jul 2014, 07:02

Totally, while much of today's underwear is deliberately sexual, that of yesteryear was to cope with drafty houses and bad weather.

I have a problem no one's mentioned yet - my tops keep riding up over my stomach. The one I'm wearing now is slightly above my navel, leaving a bare midriff under my shirt. I'm continually having to pull it down. to the right level.

Just glad I don't have women's breasts - that would be complex, with all the variations in cup size and build.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 12 Jul 2014, 10:04

Interesting update on this yesterday. I wrote that BCC piece last year, and it's had a lot of pageviews since then. Just yesterday I went to buy some new G's, and the distribution center worker was explaining several changes to the design that were made since I last bought them (wider waistband - yeah!, but added a hem - boo!). Funny thing was she felt the same way about all of it that I did. Normally I've had these workers who are the queens of dirty looks whenever you ask anything that sounds even remotely like you don't adore everything about the garment design, or they assume you want to dress like a prostitute. Anyway, none of that happened, and she also had me fill out a form after I bought them with my suggestions about design. That has never happened before! So, it's a step in the right direction.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 12 Jul 2014, 12:07

Women should have much more say in design given that they have a much wider range of body types, and they don't really reflect technological advances, except in materials.