Thank you all, and adieu

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Kumahito

Thank you all, and adieu

Post by Kumahito » 23 May 2014, 18:30

It's been a couple of years since I found Stay LDS, within the first 6 months or so of my "faith journey" or "crisis" or whatever I'm calling it. Stay LDS was incredibly helpful, and was a soft landing place and shelter when the bricks and boulders on my shelf crashed around me. I was quite active here for 6 months to a year or so, and it was so very therapeutic and eye-opening. Very respectful, very open and welcoming.

I've arrived now at a place where I no longer believe any of the central claims of the LDS Church - I still cling to a hope in God and Christ, but I wouldn't call it much more than hope at this point. I'm out to my family, and gradually coming out to the ward members who have reached out to DW and me (we're both in pretty much the same spot, thankfully). We haven't been to Church in about 2 months, and the emails, phone calls and texts are starting to come in. They haven't sent the missionaries over for a stop-by, but that's coming I'm sure. I met with the SP to head off a likely major calling, and so I'm out to him as well.

I just wanted to pass along thanks to everyone here who helped me along the way. First and foremost to JD, Brian and Ray for founding/running this site - it was such a support for the time I needed it. Many big thanks also to Hawk, Orson, Wayfarer, Spock and many others I'm leaving out. And my biggest tip o' the cap to cwald - somehow I just felt a connection to your no-nonsense wisdom and magnanimity despite the unbelievable levels of crap you had to deal with. I think of you now when I see the final scene in Shawshank Redemption - crawling through hundreds of yards of s*** and coming out clean on the other side.

Lastly, to anyone out there who wonders if it gets better, and if they can make it through, and if they can break it to their wife, and to their kids, and to their parents, and to the SP or bishop, I'm here to tell you that it's all possible. Not easy, necessarily, but possible. I'm in such a good place right now - happy, content, honest with myself and others for the first time in a long time, and now really enjoying the search for my new spirituality.

Cheers,

Kuma
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all."
- Oscar Wilde

cwald

Post by cwald » 23 May 2014, 18:53

Peace.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Thank you all, and adieu

Post by Curt Sunshine » 23 May 2014, 20:25

I am so happy to hear that you are finding peace.

Obviously, as you know, I hope you find a way to use that peace within the Church at some point, but, most of all, I am happy you are at peace.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 24 May 2014, 05:03

I'm glad this site helped and I wish you well as your journey continues.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 24 May 2014, 17:50

Wow - can I be selfish and say I wish you were staying. I understand why people leave. I know the break helps so many, but every time some one leaves I get sad. Stop by once and a while, just to say hi. Godspeed on your journey forward. Thank you for saying adieu.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

kinglamoni

Post by kinglamoni » 24 May 2014, 21:51

If it wasn't for the book of Mormon I wouldn't know what the word adieu means. Glory Glory! The church is TRUE! :lol:

church0333

Post by church0333 » 24 May 2014, 22:25

Thanks for the update. I have enjoyed your post here and at NOM and wish you luck. I am there with you we
Hen it comes to being opened to other but I go to sacrament meeting every week and an occasional priesthood meeting but mostly to keep my wife happy.

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 24 May 2014, 23:09

Kuma, I wish you the best of luck in your journey and may God bless you with peace.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 25 May 2014, 07:54

Kuma, thank you for your postings. They've helped me as well.
Come back from time to time. Let us know how you're doing.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 25 May 2014, 10:29

Thanks for your participation over the years. Like Ray, I wish you were staying, but I understand why not.