should I stay or should I go

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
keepswimmin

should I stay or should I go

Post by keepswimmin » 16 May 2014, 13:31

Hi, I posted in the introduction section earlier, maybe this will get me some more opinions although I enjoyed the others. Can I just take a "step back" for a while.. not feel obligated to church every sunday and be myself for a while? I almost feel I'm being rebellious and need to see if I just need a true break. If you hadn't read my introduction, I'm struggling with WoW and garments.. I feel so overwhelmed and constricted, plus obligations that I feel come with church.

kinglamoni

Re: should I stay or should I go

Post by kinglamoni » 16 May 2014, 15:34

I like your name. Keepswimmin. That's the advise I would give and it sounds like your doing it. What ever direction you go just keepswimmin.

I don't wear a wedding ring. I am married. I don't feel i need an outward cymbal to remind me I am married. Or for what ever reason a person wears one. Umm. dont know why I shared that. Dont know if its applicable to wearing garments. :smile:

Just keepswimmin! :D

keepswimmin

Post by keepswimmin » 16 May 2014, 16:15

Lol good analogy! Me and my husband didn't wear them for a while after we married either (we married in a courthouse) though our reasoning was we couldn't afford them but it didn't bother us because we also felt rings don't mean anything other than showing off your marriage.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 16 May 2014, 16:40

Rings (IMO) are mostly useful to keep strangers from hitting on me, but I found that it didn't work in Vegas. Garments OTOH probably keep us from knocking boots with non-LDS lovers. Maybe.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 16 May 2014, 19:10

Sure you can take a break! People that train to compete in sports at the highest levels have rest days worked into their regimens. Rest actually allows the body to strengthen whereas continuous training can actually weaken an athlete. Our bodies need rest from strenuous activity, so does our spirit.

That's one thing that gets me about church culture, there's often no rest. On my mission it was 365 days a year with no whiff of a vacation. Even Mother's Day and Christmas were limited to a few hours to call home and then it was right back to the grind. Preparation days were also laborious, a half day of chores and a half day of normal missionary work. Stress builds when you can no longer see relief on the horizon. Even outside the framework of a mission members are often sustained to their next calling in the same meeting where they are released from their old one. No rest.

I know this contradicts what I just said but have you ever had a calling/responsibility for a long time, you were released, and you had a few Sundays where you could actually relax at church before the next assignment came along?

We'd do better by giving people a break from time to time to allow them to recharge their batteries for the next go-round. If it's a break from callings or even church, it doesn't matter. Rest is an integral part of progress in any endeavor.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 16 May 2014, 21:54

Even God took a break after a long time at work.

Some people think God still is taking a long break, mostly - perhaps with a few appearances on the lecture circuit occasionally to keep people from forgetting.

To quote the immortal words of Count Rugen (hope someone recognizes that reference):
If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 16 May 2014, 21:58

Ray - Princess Bride.

The line before it, "You know how I love to watch you work, but I have a wedding to plan, my wife to murder, and Gildor to frame for it. I'm swamped." ;)
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 16 May 2014, 22:01

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

and there actually is a good lesson in that line
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 16 May 2014, 22:34

:thumbup: True.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

baldzach

Post by baldzach » 17 May 2014, 09:37

Actually we're missing part of the quote... the line that Rugen says just before the above-quoted: "Get some rest. After all, if you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything."
I think I need some rest.