Meet with An Area Authority?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Meet with An Area Authority?

Post by Curt Sunshine » 13 May 2014, 07:50

You may be directed to the apologists for historical and doctrinal questions

Just to be clear, the AA did NOT say this. In fact, he explicitly said the opposite and referred to it as being like an addiction - or, at least, that was the outcome of the discussion about apologetics.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » 13 May 2014, 16:07

Ray DeGraw wrote:
You may be directed to the apologists for historical and doctrinal questions

Just to be clear, the AA did NOT say this. In fact, he explicitly said the opposite and referred to it as being like an addiction - or, at least, that was the outcome of the discussion about apologetics.
Thanks Ray, that is correct. I think he understands that at least some apologetics can be unintentionally counter-productive.
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4599e

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » 13 May 2014, 16:09

I just wanted to give another update. The AA gave me some things to read that went into some additional advice that might be helpful. I will try to summarize the best I can:
  • Accept that life has ambiguity. We don’t often have full information and the information we have comes from imperfect sources.
    Ultimate truth comes from God. Relying on what we perceive to be facts alone for truths about spiritual matters can be painful and frustrating.
    We should judge all facts with caution.
    Make allowances for human imperfections.
    We should examine motives and character of those providing facts.
    Give weight to the past experiences we have had that would relate.

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 13 May 2014, 16:38

DT,

That's all very good advice.

I would add that religion is subjective. When I was a believer, I thought I was being objective about it. Now that I'm an Atheist, I think I'm being objective about it. But the reality is that I was/am probably wrong either way; it is subjective.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

kinglamoni

Post by kinglamoni » 13 May 2014, 18:52

On Own Now wrote:DT,

I would add that religion is subjective. When I was a believer, I thought I was being objective about it. Now that I'm an Atheist, I think I'm being objective about it. But the reality is that I was/am probably wrong either way; it is subjective.
Don't pick ether believer or Atheist. Become an agnostic. The most honest of answers. Ambiguity at its core. :smile:

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 13 May 2014, 19:27

I didn't pick Atheism... it picked me.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 13 May 2014, 21:28

This is great to read. Am really encouraged by this

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » 14 May 2014, 08:26

On Own Now wrote:DT,

Yes, it is subjective. That doesn’t mean it isn’t a valid source of truth for us individually. I doubt any of us can ever be truly objective about everything.

kinglamoni

Post by kinglamoni » 14 May 2014, 09:46

On Own Now wrote:I didn't pick Atheism... it picked me.
I take a different approach. I choose for my self what to believe.

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 14 May 2014, 10:00

kinglamoni wrote:
On Own Now wrote:I didn't pick Atheism... it picked me.
I take a different approach. I choose for my self what to believe.
Haha. If only. If I could choose what to believe I'd be LDS all the way.

Congratulations on being an Agnostic. If Agnosticism works for you, great. If Gnosticism works for you, that's great, too. I'm not going to tell anyone which path they should take. Ultimately what we 'believe' is distinct from what path we choose.
- - -
- - -
- - -