Meet with An Area Authority?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Forgotten_Charity

Re: Meet with An Area Authority?

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 14 May 2014, 10:07

kinglamoni wrote:
On Own Now wrote:I didn't pick Atheism... it picked me.
I take a different approach. I choose for my self what to believe.
It greatly depends what fits into someone's brain wiring and their previous experience.
People can and tend to believe almost anything on the whole of the earth as long as their personal experience doesn't contradict it. Regardless of weather it can be proven or not. Once personal experience kicks in, friending on how central the belief is to them, the entire assumptive world view may collapse. Picking values and beliefs that are consistent with the new personal experiences becomes crucial to maintaining sanity and comfort. Some go further and research what else's might collapse before rebuilding their structure feeling uneasy about building the house soon the sand again. Trying to research and make sure it's build on solid ground with existing knowledge. Others rebuild and don't bother checking there structure to make sure, their comfortable throwing caution to the wind and getting on with life quickly.

So while some people believe in god and put all/some of the apples back into the patched broken basket, others don't feel comfortable putting to many or nine at all back into the patched broken basket. It would be like asking them to drive there cracking distance on a blown patched tire. The security is gone for them. It blow, it blow after it was patched, reaffirming to them it will be ok on the second patch to make it to their destination doesn't help or reinstall confidence, security or comfort.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 14 May 2014, 10:43

I agree with kinglamoni - I choose what to believe. But, that choice is certainly influenced by my experiences as FC points out. I have appreciated those in my life who have realized that simply bearing their testimonies of their experiences isn't a magic cure all. There have been those who are just the opposite as well. I used to say this all the time in that regard - your experiences are yours and yours alone, and mine are mine and mine alone. Because God answered your prayer or gave you a certain blessing does not mean he has done or will do the same for anyone else. You can have all the faith, testimony, belief, hope, etc., that you want to have and I will respect that - but your experiences do not necessarily apply to me - they're yours.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

On Own Now

Post by On Own Now » 14 May 2014, 10:56

DarkJedi wrote:I agree with kinglamoni - I choose what to believe. But, that choice is certainly influenced by my experiences as FC points out. I have appreciated those in my life who have realized that simply bearing their testimonies of their experiences isn't a magic cure all. There have been those who are just the opposite as well. I used to say this all the time in that regard - your experiences are yours and yours alone, and mine are mine and mine alone. Because God answered your prayer or gave you a certain blessing does not mean he has done or will do the same for anyone else. You can have all the faith, testimony, belief, hope, etc., that you want to have and I will respect that - but your experiences do not necessarily apply to me - they're yours.
= subjective.
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." --Romans 14:13

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 14 May 2014, 11:01

On Own Now wrote:
DarkJedi wrote:I agree with kinglamoni - I choose what to believe. But, that choice is certainly influenced by my experiences as FC points out. I have appreciated those in my life who have realized that simply bearing their testimonies of their experiences isn't a magic cure all. There have been those who are just the opposite as well. I used to say this all the time in that regard - your experiences are yours and yours alone, and mine are mine and mine alone. Because God answered your prayer or gave you a certain blessing does not mean he has done or will do the same for anyone else. You can have all the faith, testimony, belief, hope, etc., that you want to have and I will respect that - but your experiences do not necessarily apply to me - they're yours.
= subjective.
Yes, no question about that.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 14 May 2014, 12:36

Forgotten_Charity wrote:People can and tend to believe almost anything on the whole of the earth as long as their personal experience doesn't contradict it. Regardless of weather it can be proven or not. Once personal experience kicks in, friending on how central the belief is to them, the entire assumptive world view may collapse. Picking values and beliefs that are consistent with the new personal experiences becomes crucial to maintaining sanity and comfort. Some go further and research what else's might collapse before rebuilding their structure feeling uneasy about building the house soon the sand again. Trying to research and make sure it's build on solid ground with existing knowledge. Others rebuild and don't bother checking there structure to make sure, their comfortable throwing caution to the wind and getting on with life quickly.
I agree with the above. I might describe myself in the limited agency camp. I believe that there are many things in our life that we might have limited control over that will limit our options (experiences, temperament, genetics, brain chemistry, social structures, culture.... the list goes on and on). These will limit our options and make some fit better than others. The more we choose options that don't quite fit right, the more cognitive dissonance we will experience.

I believe that a measure of peace is obtained by choosing options that "fit" for you personally.

Back to the OP, I am truly impressed by the amount of compassion and outreach shown so far by this AA. :thumbup:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 May 2014, 12:39

Ultimately what we 'believe' is distinct from what path we choose.

Amen, it can be. That might not be true when we see as children, but when we become adults, hopefully we can make that distinction - no matter how those two things end up interacting.

We say here all the time that what works for someone works for someone - even if something else works for someone else. There is no "one-size/shape-fits all" paradigm that we preach. We don't argue about what any particular person "should" believe or do; we simply encourage every person to believe and do what fits best within "the dictates of (their) own conscience", hopefully under the umbrella of staying LDS.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » 24 May 2014, 09:16

Just an update. I met with the Area Authority yesterday and it was a wonderful visit, although much shorter than the first one. I shared with him where I am, that I have given up looking for apologetic answers. I thanked him for his help and excellent advice (which I have been trying to follow) in bringing me to a better place with my faith.

I told him that I feel my faith can be stronger now. He used an analogy about a remodel on his home. One part of the home did not have a basement and that part began to settle. They dug out this area, fixed the settling problem and were able to increase the living space of their basement. He said that I now have more room for faith to grow.

He again shared some other personal experiences, which I will not share here. I offered to help anyone else he comes across that is going through a faith crisis. He appreciated that and was very interested in having me do that.

We exchanged more contact information to stay in touch and he said his door is always open for me if I ever need to talk again.

What a great person he is, he has really helped me get through a tough part of my faith crisis. Thanks to everyone here for the encouragement to meet with him.
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4599e

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 24 May 2014, 10:38

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Individual leaders can make all the difference in the world - both good and bad. I am happy he is a good one.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Daeruin

Post by Daeruin » 26 May 2014, 21:42

That's awesome. Thanks so much for letting us know how it's going with you.
"Not all those who wander are lost" —Tolkien

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer » 29 May 2014, 17:57

this is really a great thread to read.

I think the key comment in all of this is:
With that, we talked about how digging into the answers some people give, such as apologists, can be an addictive habit. I realized that I need to stop looking for answers from apologists.
amen, amen, and amen.

We have learned through sad experience that apologetics destroys faith. The apologetic heuristic twists truth-finding, allowing us to hold onto beliefs that cannot be true. This is not faith, it is deception. Faith and doubt go hand in hand: doubt is the gap between what we know and that which we cannot know, and which we take on faith. Faith is the great Middle Way.
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com