One reason why I am trying to stay

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
church0333

One reason why I am trying to stay

Post by church0333 » 09 Feb 2014, 22:48

This weekend we had a snow and ice storm here in my part of Oregon and in the process lost power and a bunch of trees and tree limbs. They were popping and snapping all day and night in our neighborhood. Our Bishop put the word out that we would only have sacrament meeting for those that wanted to attend but it was only if they were comfortable traveling. We had a mess in the yard and no hot water to shower so we did not go but after our 9:00 meeting a handful of guys from our ward came by ready to help with the clean up and one sister brought over a big bowl of hot stew. I was ready to call one friend to ask him to bring a chainsaw and was pleasantly surprised by the many that did show up. It is at times like this that I really find value in being a member of a community like the church. I also try hard to be the guy that shows up too with out being asked. I know that lately many of my post have been hard on the church but when something positive happens I hope I can point that out also.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: One reason why I am trying to stay

Post by hawkgrrrl » 09 Feb 2014, 23:06

This is definitely one thing Mormons usually do right!

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 09 Feb 2014, 23:49

Thanks, church0333. There are excellent aspects of the culture.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 10 Feb 2014, 04:17

I'm glad you live in a ward like that, and I think most of us do. People in the church often do the right thing when unrestricted.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 10 Feb 2014, 07:35

Agreed -- and I notice the length of the responding posts is inversely proportional to the amount of love shown by the members.

I had an experience where the Ward pulled together to help me get on a mission. And one other time, someone called me and helped me clean up my yard -- unasked. Those things make me want to go to church because they make it easier to believe the church is true...
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

GodisLove

Post by GodisLove » 10 Feb 2014, 14:22

Thanks for reminding me of one of the things I do love about our church!
Not one Sparrow is forgotten
E'en the raven God will feed
And the lily of the valley
From His bounty hath its need

Then shall I not trust Thee, Father
In Thy mercy have a share?
And through faith and prayer, my Mother
Merit Thy protecting care?
Shaker Hymnal 1908

AgnesMarie

Post by AgnesMarie » 14 Feb 2014, 10:11

That's lovely to hear. Thanks for sharing. :smile:

mercyngrace

Post by mercyngrace » 14 Feb 2014, 14:10

Love that you had that experience Church 0333!

I feel the same way about my community of church members. I really love the members of my ward and care for them even if my crazy life keeps me too busy to be as involved as I would like with some of the service our ward performs.

When it comes right down to it, I believe this is the reason we were always to gather in communities or as churches. We are supposed to be helping, loving, and supporting one another. I can practice my religion fully without a community of like-minded believers but why would I want to? This is a gospel of reconciliation - coming together in spite of those things that separate us. It's all about community.

It's the joy in my community that allows me to keep my frustrations with the institution separate from my involvement with my ward and stake.
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47