The mysterious past.Where do I fit in?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Forgotten_Charity

Re: The mysterious past.Where do I fit in?

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 11 Feb 2014, 12:24

Last edited by Forgotten_Charity on 12 Feb 2014, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 11 Feb 2014, 12:39

Separate yourself for however long enough it takes to get a handle on your issues.

First, I have known a lot of traditional, conservative members in my life, but none of them would have said what your High Councilor said. I know there are people like that who would say it, but it's another case of extremism that most people don't have to deal with. I'm sorry you have to do so.

The example of Elder Bednar's comment is instructive. It is no surprise, given your background, that his attempt at humor not only doesn't work for you but actually is harmful. He obviously didn't mean to suggest coercion as a real option (and I am sure he would be horrified if he knew the effect of his words on you), but your experiences were so powerful that the simple reference brought back terrible memories and clouded your ability to be objective to any degree. That's not your fault - not at all. It's just your reality right now.

Right now, you are the #1 priority. Do what you need to do to build strength and peace and closure within yourself.

Finally, it's not healthy to hide this from your spouse. I have no idea how or when you can let down the wall, but work with your therapist toward that goal, whenever it is best for it to happen.

Know that everyone here cares and will be praying for / thinking about you and hoping you can continue to move toward a place of peace.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Forgotten_Charity

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 11 Feb 2014, 13:09