Suffering from a lack of motivation in all areas of my life

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
opentofreedom

Re: Suffering from a lack of motivation in all areas of my l

Post by opentofreedom » 24 Jan 2014, 09:13

first of all here here to Hawkgirls..haha that is funny. Candy Crush has this weird ability to turn off my brain the never turns off and has gotten me to shut my mouth when needed on more than one occasion. But I just may have to go to Candy Crush rehab..haha

But Yes, you sound like you have reached a more normal level. Is that bad, or does that cause you to feel depressed? b/c every one's "normal" is different IMO. If doing all of those things truly made you happy, and you didn't put all of your value in your accomplishments, but rather found joy in busy, then maybe that is just who your are. But if you no longer need to do those things to feel or be happy and you enjoy relaxing more, then hurray. But if it is depression or anxiety then maybe a therapist would be helpful. ?? I always find talking to a non-biased ear to be helpful.

I hope you find peace.

I am excited about that book David Burns "Feeling Good". I am going to look that up TODAY! Thanks for mentioning it.
Namaste: the divine light in me honors the divine light in you.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

mercyngrace

Post by mercyngrace » 24 Jan 2014, 09:28

I'm so with you right now, SD.

I wish I had some advice but that would mean I could pull myself out of my own slump.

The last year has been a mad dash first with a difficult employer and a hectic job and then with a much better new employer and an even more hectic job. Things are finally slowing down and I just feel exhausted. I've been hanging out on my favorite forums just looking for ways to avoid working.I desperately need a vacation. But then I might not want to come back. LOL.

Candy Crush.

Now there's an idea...
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 25 Jan 2014, 07:04

Sorry to hear that -- better employer, more hectic work -- so you're even.

I had just gotten my inner peace back (but not my motivation), and then my employer slapped me with a new set of responsibilities that have replaced all the the things I cut out of my life earlier.

Jeffrey Holland's advice to "slow down" during despondency is good advice - it was working for me. So I am now trying to figure out how to cut other things out of my life.....
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

mercyngrace

Post by mercyngrace » 25 Jan 2014, 08:20

Slowing down is good. I think I need to learn to meditate better.

My brain just never shuts off. Even sleeping last night, I dreamt of two boys in my Sunday school class who I've been trying to reach (short version: they've recently gone totally inactive and they are in some trouble). I worry about them and I want them to know I care - regardless of whether they come to church. That's tangential to this thread, I know. But it illustrates how my brain just won't shut down.

When I was younger and under stress, I would hyper focus, get super motivated, and manage to get everything done.

The older I get, when I feel those tugs in a million directions, I just feel inertia and I lose focus.
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 25 Jan 2014, 09:56

I hate to say this, but when I have been in situations where the lack of motivation comes from bad human relationships, I have found that refraining from proactivity helps. "Refraining from proactivity" is a euphimism for "caring too much". Its a resignedness, that I have found is giving me a certain measure of peace.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

mercyngrace

Post by mercyngrace » 25 Jan 2014, 13:23

I can summarize that sentiment in three words.

Mother. In. Law.

She's so toxic that I am going through a detox period where I literally don't answer the phone when she calls. It's the only way to quell the homicidal inclinations....

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 25 Jan 2014, 16:23

SD, I feel for you, man. I will pray for you that you will find peace in this. I do have an anxiety disorder, so I know what suffering from anxiety is like. I do suffer from some depression, but it's not a bad as the anxiety gets at times. For me what helps is practicing meditation after I wake up in the morning and getting help from case workers and counselors in the mental health field. Those could really help you too. Like you, cutting down on some things in my life has also helped.