Suffering from a lack of motivation in all areas of my life

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
SilentDawning

Suffering from a lack of motivation in all areas of my life

Post by SilentDawning » 21 Jan 2014, 09:49

I am suffering from lack of motivation in all areas of my life right now....there was a trigger, but that is not relevant. Church is at the bottom of the list. None of us went this week and justified it with a family council.

Any suggestions about what to do when you feel no desire to do anything in your life -- even those things that gave you passion at one time?

Let's not talk about meds -- I don't want them -- about proactive things that can help a person get out of the doldrums and excited about life again.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

journeygirl

Re: Suffering from a lack of motivation in all areas of my l

Post by journeygirl » 21 Jan 2014, 09:55

Sounds sort of like depression. I've been there too. Exercise is known to help as much as or more than pills for many cases of depressive symptoms. What has helped me a lot was to find something new to focus on. I picked going back to school, and I have been so much happier in my life having that to work towards. If possible, this might be a good time for a little get away. I went to the Grand Canyon for the first time a few years ago, and it was such an experience. It really re-set my views on my life and what is possible. That high lasted a few weeks.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 21 Jan 2014, 09:59

Exercise... not just any exercise, one you can enjoy. For instance I hate running so running doesn't do anything for me.
The wound is the place where the light enters you.
— Rumi

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 21 Jan 2014, 10:17

I have cut out all things that I used to run myself ragged with. A had a part-time band that was so successful, I had to form a second one to cover all the work. I cancelled all the upcoming work with the blessing of my musicians who I wore out with too much work for their part-time desires.

I have reduced my involvement with a non-profit. I was going to quit altogether, but I went to two meetings in one week and they actually pulled me out of my despondency for a day until I got hit again by something else. I realized this was something I needed to retain for my mental health, this community service work.

So, I only reduced the frequency of certain meetings over which I had control, and shifted the collaboration to email. I also stopped caring so much about my work. Not neglecting it, or declaring "do a half-cocked job at work day", but making it secondary to my personal time, placing limits on when people can call me. I no longer agree to send things to people via email anymore. I tend to be an epicenter of information and find a lot of time is spent sending people things i have created.

So I post it once on a free website and give people the website address on a piece of paper. I check email once a day, and I turn down contract work by pricing it so high people won't hire me, and if I get it, it excites me. And I slowed down my progress on my PhD. I also bought a television and watch comedy shows to pick myself up. Basically, I try to keep my schedule empty and focus on getting my house fixed up, which makes me feel better.

I no longer get involved in things that require paperwork and asked my wife to handle routine paperwork tasks she is actually pretty good at. And I drop everything to be with my family now.

None of this is permanent, but it helps....I don't really like exercise as it hurts my body now that I am aging a bit, but perhaps I could take more walks with my family.

More suggestions are welcome, as all these measure above have only brought a surface kind of help, although positive....
Last edited by SilentDawning on 21 Jan 2014, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » 21 Jan 2014, 13:36

Yes, I have experienced this recently and am somewhat still experiencing this. I've been going through a transition process with my current employment. When I was hired over 3 years ago the position was a very growing and stretching experience. The project has been winding down and I've been looking for the next opportunity, and not seeing much on the horizon right now. I’m not growing as much as when I first started the project and I miss that.

I think things will change once the next project comes along. Not sure if that is the same type of experience you're having right now.

I would agree with the advice already given, although some methods are not a one size fits all solution.

For me, I have been reading some quantum physics books lately and have started writing my own science-fiction novella. I would say find something that interests you that will push your abilities, but not take away from family time.
My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4599e

opentofreedom

Post by opentofreedom » 21 Jan 2014, 13:50

SD, I wish I could offer some grand advice, but I don't really have any. I am just responding to say that I can empathize with you. I have had similar struggles as well. I will let you know if I come up with any answers. I agree about exercise being really effective. I also have read studies showing that the correct amount of Amino Acids and Vit D can help with depression, but if what you are going through isn't physiological then I am not sure they would help??

It sounds like you are a highly driven individual and are just slowing down a bit. Is there anything wrong with just relaxing? or does that cause depression? I am reading "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. It is helping me to find the joy in just BEING. Not doing, just BEING. Those peaceful moments are further apart than I would like, but it is a start.

My 2 cents;)
Namaste: the divine light in me honors the divine light in you.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 21 Jan 2014, 17:29

Duplicate post.
Last edited by SilentDawning on 21 Jan 2014, 19:37, edited 2 times in total.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 21 Jan 2014, 17:32

opentofreedom wrote: It sounds like you are a highly driven individual and are just slowing down a bit. Is there anything wrong with just relaxing? or does that cause depression? I am reading "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. It is helping me to find the joy in just BEING. Not doing, just BEING. Those peaceful moments are further apart than I would like, but it is a start.

My 2 cents;)
Highly driven is an understatement. I have seven different degrees/certificates/certifications that I've accumulated mostly over the last 8 years.

Doing nothing used to be depressing to me, but now, I don't care. I want my schedule empty to just sit around and talk to my kids and family, give hugs, rely on each other for support, be together, do things together. I want to keep my personal living space orderly and clean, as this picks up my spirits.

My employer has become so idiotic that anyone with talent has quit or resigned recently. My employment used to be my life, as was the church and then my family (as church service often relegates it to last). When I stopped heavy involvement at Church, it was my work and my community work that mattered, and my proof to myself I could run a small business on the side, which I did with some success. I have scrapped the hobby business after it became a strong success for a hobby business, kept a piece of the community work, and couldn't care less about my work if it wasn't for pay and benefits.

My family has been the beneficiary. Strange, they don't demand more time from me, and seem to appreciate my full attention and ability to lounge around the house with them, and take short entertainment trips now and then.

I really think this plan of doing nothing but relaxing and flitting from thing to thing that brings me happiness is all that is important right now. I am sure it will pass, but I am open to other suggestions for how to slow down -- I may read the book about Being, as that is what I'm doing right now -- along with a lot of unstructured eating.

I am not debilitated, but I have periods of nausea when I think about my work. I found a new job at a good rate of pay 5 minutes from my house, but I can't take it or I owe my employer $30,000 -- for reasons I won't go into. To make matters worse, my bosses boss (who calls the major shots in my work) is an anti-Mormon and broadcasted her anti-Mormonism to someone after besmirching muslims in front of a group of people. I hate going to work knowing that women has so much power over my economic situation, and I can't even leave. I have encouraged him to submit an anonymous harrassment report through our "anonymous" whistleblower system we have, but I think he's afraid.

So, when I once had church, work, family as my triology of peace-producing activities, I am now down to this non-profit and my family, and I am struggling to keep the non-profit between meetings, which I find energizing.

opentofreedom

Post by opentofreedom » 21 Jan 2014, 21:11

It sounds like you are putting things in the "right" priority and that your family is happy. Am I hearing you that the most stressful thing is your job and the fact that you feel trapped? I am so sorry to hear your struggles because being "trapped" in a hostile work place is rough. I hope you can find a way to make it work. I am definatly not a therapist, but it sounds like anxiety attacks brought on from job. I wish I could offer some helpful advice, but I believe the best "advice" is our own advice that comes from the highest part of you/ and/or God. Whichever feels right with your beliefs.
I can't say what works for you, but guided meditations work amazing for me when I have anxiety. And I HIGHLY recommend "The power of Now". It helps me to realize that I don't have to worry about the future, because at this very moment I am OK. I can deal with X,Y,Z when I come to it. Even if it is 5 mins away.

I really hope you find peace in your situation. I am glad you are finding joy in your family and just resting and spending time with family. That sounds awesome. It is funny b/c that is all I do and I want to start being more proactive with my life outside of my family. Like going back to school, or getting certified as a holistic healer... JUST SOMETHING other than sitting on the coach and watching My Little Pony..haha Balance will be the key to happiness.
Namaste: the divine light in me honors the divine light in you.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

mom3

Post by mom3 » 22 Jan 2014, 21:55

Silent Dawning - I'm sorry about your lack of motivation. I am glad you are loving the family time. Remember what Chronicles says, "to every thing there is a time and purpose." Maybe family time and down time is just what the doctor ordered for you. Cherish it.

I love to recommend to books - considering this post and a couple of others from you - I wondered if you had read, Anatomy of Peace or Leadership and Self-Deceeption. They seem to be up your alley. The other book I thought of was Tuesday's With Morrie. No pressure to read them, they just came to mind. I do hope the joy of family time continues.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Anatomy-Peace ... 1576755843

http://www.amazon.com/Leadership-Self-D ... ks&ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Tuesdays-Morrie-Y ... 1390452892&
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman