John Dehlin

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Head Above Water

Re: John Dehlin

Post by Head Above Water » 08 Oct 2013, 08:54

Thanks John, you made me feel like I am not alone. I so appreciate your work.

After this GC, I'm not sure if I can make it much further. I'm sinking.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 08 Oct 2013, 09:25

Head Above Water wrote:Thanks John, you made me feel like I am not alone. I so appreciate your work.

After this GC, I'm not sure if I can make it much further. I'm sinking.
I am very sorry to hear that, but I understand.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

mom3

Post by mom3 » 08 Oct 2013, 12:44

Cwald - I know it wasn't your goal. It wasn't my goal to cry either, but it happened. With so many doors being shut between people, to see one open again was refreshing. The tears were tears of joy. :clap:
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

cwald

Post by cwald » 08 Oct 2013, 22:07

Thanks mom3. Please tell Sundance that I'm thinking of him and hope he finds peace...it was a rough conference for all of us.

My daughter is over at OSU...we need to meet up and visit.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

cwald

Post by cwald » 08 Oct 2013, 22:13

John...I know you're listening...

Thanks again for your comments on radiowest.

I really think, as a collective, staylds owe you a huge debt of gratitude.

And...really sorry for criticizing you publicly stating you were going back to church. I think I get it a little bit more now.

I'll send you a pm with the rest of my comments. But knowing that church leaders are reading this site...I want my thanks, as a staylds collective, to be read and understood by my family/leaders...just how important this GC message was.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

church0333

Post by church0333 » 10 Oct 2013, 07:25

John has been a big influence in many of the things I learned and what I have done with the knowledge. Deffinately a source for good in the wold and in the church and I hope that he will still be a voice to Mormons like us because it does carry weight.

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer » 11 Oct 2013, 19:02

i think john is a lot more active on facebook. For those in the in the StayLDS segment, "A Thoughtful Faith Support Group" is generally aligned.
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

johndehlin

Post by johndehlin » 11 Oct 2013, 20:14

Wow. What a nice treat. Thanks so much, cwald. And thanks to the others, too. Truth is, I'm barely hanging on at church right now. It has been very disappointing to me at times. This made me feel a little better....so thanks so much.

<3

church0333

Post by church0333 » 11 Oct 2013, 22:06

John, I have so much respect for you and the things you have done. You are very human and I expect nothing more. It make me sad that the church we love so much can cause so much pain at times.

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer » 12 Oct 2013, 05:52

johndehlin wrote:Wow. What a nice treat. Thanks so much, cwald. And thanks to the others, too. Truth is, I'm barely hanging on at church right now. It has been very disappointing to me at times. This made me feel a little better....so thanks so much.

<3
I can identify very well with the Church of Jesus Christ of Saturday Conference. After Sunday Morning's session, i was grateful to be spared the rest, given i had to travel.

The reality is that the Church both edifies AND seriously disappoints. As a result of Prop8, i sought in earnest to find a replacement, and I found that ALL religions both edify and seriously disappoint. It was so frustrating to return from that final stage of my faith journey and land here: is this all there is? it was if the Jenga structure of my faith journey had entirely collapsed, and there was nothing left.

But as i saw John Dehlin reconstruct some of his faith after a disasterous mission and various faith challenges, and as i found a community of people like cwald, brian, ray, and all of you, i realized that this is our faith: the trust and love we have for one another and share. Faith, to me, is no longer pretending to know crap. Faith is hope, and trust, loving and acceptance, caring and sharing. i have come to realize i don't know much, and believe almost nothing, yet i can have faith...an optimism that we, together, can work through our faith transformation.

To me, the soft landing zone of a faithful Middle-Way is Dehlin's most significant contribution, although I know, personally he is ambivalevt as to its long term viability.
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com