John Dehlin

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
cwald

John Dehlin

Post by cwald » 06 Oct 2013, 19:11

Hey John, I know you are listening...

Just want to say thanks for your work and effort. I have no doubt that the message we are hearing from the likes of Uchdtdorf and Holland would not be happening without people like you and Mormon Stories.

I know I've been hard on you in the past, but I think we as individuals and as a collective, especially this staylds site, needs to validate and express gratitude for your sacrifice and efforts on behalf of those who struggle, but still need to find a way, for whatever reason, to staylds.

Thanks.

Chad

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

cwald

Re: John Dehlin

Post by cwald » 06 Oct 2013, 19:13

PS. I've readded you as a friend on Facebook. ;-)

Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 06 Oct 2013, 19:14

I will give John kudos
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 06 Oct 2013, 20:25

Yep -- the bloggernacle has a voice...
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Thankful

Post by Thankful » 06 Oct 2013, 20:38

Yes, yes. Thank you John.

Dax

Post by Dax » 06 Oct 2013, 21:44

Yes Thank you from myself and my kids that attend church in large part due to your efforts.

mackay11

John Dehlin

Post by mackay11 » 06 Oct 2013, 23:08

-Like-

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Oct 2013, 09:43

Amen, friend.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 07 Oct 2013, 11:37

Cwald - You made me cry. I had not cried all weekend, like many here, I avoided the direct hits, and kept busy doing good elsewhere. It was a storm tossed session, but as I wrapped my heart up I found your words, and everything spilled over. Thank you.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

cwald

Post by cwald » 07 Oct 2013, 18:43

mom3 wrote:Cwald - You made me cry. I had not cried all weekend, like many here, I avoided the direct hits, and kept busy doing good elsewhere. It was a storm tossed session, but as I wrapped my heart up I found your words, and everything spilled over. Thank you.
Thanks. But that was not my goal. :-)