Oh, I see what you meant now. It is nice to think about what I like about the church. I can take a break from stewing, but then I will have to deal with it later. I think you are very right about some bad stuff becoming irrelevant. Some things are big issues only because I make them so.SamBee wrote:That's okay, I understood that. Personally, I've used that technique, i.e. go back to what I like. Not only does it help me steer around what I have trouble with, it reminds me why I stay. Some of the bad stuff becomes irrelevant.Shawn wrote:I like a lot about the church. I am not saying I can't go on in the church. I am saying I can't keep going in this faith crisis. I'm sorry for not not being very clear
Good point about Brother Brigham. The sad thing is that 95% of what he said is awesome, but many tend to focus on the other 5%.SamBee wrote:I don't think we discuss BY enough here. I don't see him as prophet like JS, I see him as an organizer, a leader, a politician, things that JS failed at sometimes. He made some dreadful choices, we know that, but he also helped the church stabilize and survive. He created an entire state, rather than a BOM.
I understand your frustration, you've reached an impasse. I've been there. Do you do anything artistic? Art and music can help, in very deep and unexplainable ways.
Anyway we'll talk more later.
I have only recently become an avid reader. Three books have been great distractions: David Copperfield, Don Quixote, and Gulliver's Travels. I am now toward the end of The Three Musketeers.