Feeling I Can't Go On

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
SamBee

Re: Feeling I Can't Go On

Post by SamBee » 25 Mar 2013, 03:54

There are lots of shades of gray.
Yeah, at least fifty! lol
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

AmyJ

Re: Feeling I Can't Go On

Post by AmyJ » 06 Mar 2018, 13:25

Roy wrote:
12 Mar 2013, 12:56
1) I agree that many things are a matter of perspective - but that is not the same thing as saying that we choose our perspective. For example, I would have a really hard time declaring that the grass is blue and believing it to be blue because my past experience tells me that it is green. I do believe that we can influence our perspective, but our ability to do so is limited and varies between individuals.
One thing I have learned is that my personal Aspie super-power is that my perspective shapes my reality more than most people. It is the reason I was able to scare myself into 3 unsuccessful L&D trips over an 8 day period with my first child, and manage to not "perceive" the contractions to the point where I caught my baby myself in the bathroom. Because I "decided" the contractions weren't that bad, they weren't that bad - end of story. This is probably the starkest example of this principle, but I have others collected over the years.

NOTE: I acknowledge the existence of this super-power of mine. I really don't know what to do with it except point it in the most positive direction I have available at any given time and try not to get thrown backwards by it. It feels like a fire department hose spewing water full-speed not infrequently.
Roy wrote:
12 Mar 2013, 12:56
2) I think of the faith crisis process as similar to the steps of grief. You don't get to just opt out. I know for me, in my process that I like to call "assumptive world collapse," I felt like I was being propelled forward through the process. As though my psyche was reverting to some type of hardwired back-up programming that was rooted below the consiousness. I did have some choices along the way but my choices seemed to either help smooth the process or complicate the process - there was no excape hatch - it had to be lived through.

My hope for you is that you cut yourself (and others) some slack. Life is messy and there isn't any way to "fix" it.
I don't know what to think of this faith transition. Sometimes it feels like sliding off the side of a steep house but you have a strong belt, a strong rope anchored into a rod on the roof. The view is very scary, and the shingles are very slippery in some places - but as long as you don't unlatch the belt from around the waist or disconnect the rope from the belt latch - eventually the world should stop spinning and lost ground regained...

AND it would be a lot scarier if I didn't have this board as my lifeline and belt latch connecting me to the concept(s) of and behind God.