Useful quote of the day...

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Heber13

Re: Useful quote of the day...

Post by Heber13 » 07 Jun 2017, 07:31

All major world religious traditions carry the same message: The message of love, compassion, forgiveness, tolerance, contentment, self-discipline.

All religious traditions.

So these are common ground, and common practice. On that level we can build genuine harmony on the basis of mutual respect, mutual learning.
- Dalai Lama Sept 18 2016
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 05 Jul 2017, 09:02

The rotation of the earth really makes my day!
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 21 Aug 2017, 11:18

I screamed at God for the starving child until I saw that the starving child was God screaming at me.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 23 Aug 2017, 16:54

"Those who govern their thoughts and actions solely by the principles of liberalism or conservatism or intellectualism cannot be expected to agree with all of the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ."

Dallin H. Oaks - from a talk entitled "Criticism" delivered at a Latter-day Saint Student Association fireside in the Salt Lake Tabernacle on 4 May 1986. A condensed version was published in the February 1987 Ensign.

I love that he focused on extremism in thought, no matter the exact manifestation - and that he included "conservatism" explicitly as an example.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken