Useful quote of the day...

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Re: Useful quote of the day...

Post by Ray DeGraw » 21 Aug 2016, 11:59

"The best and most clear indicator that we are progressing spiritually and coming unto Christ is the way we treat other people." - Marvin J. Ashton
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 21 Aug 2016, 17:21

DarkJedi wrote:
"Sometimes the greatest love is not found in the dramatic scenes that poets and writers immortalize. Often, the greatest manifestations of love are the simple acts of kindness and caring we extend to those we meet along the path of life."
Joseph B. Wirthlin
Dj...this is very meaningful to me. Thanks.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 21 Aug 2016, 18:43

Ray DeGraw wrote:
"The best and most clear indicator that we are progressing spiritually and coming unto Christ is the way we treat other people." - Marvin J. Ashton
Nice.

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 24 Aug 2016, 09:45

When you like a flower, you pick it.

When you love a flower, you water it every day.

Buddha
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mom3

Post by mom3 » 25 Aug 2016, 16:46

"Even when you are not at fault—perhaps especially when you are not at fault—let love conquer pride." - Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 27 Aug 2016, 10:32

At some point, you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening. - Anonymous

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 14 Sep 2016, 07:10

The gospel is less about how to get into the Kingdom of Heaven after you die and more about how to live in the Kingsom of Heaven before you die. - Dallas Willard

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 03 Oct 2016, 10:56

The best thing a person can do when it's raining is to let it rain. - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 17 Dec 2016, 13:52

You will not be punished for your anger; you will be punished by your anger. - Buddha

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 06 Mar 2017, 05:46

Joseph Fielding Smith, Jr., Doctrines of Salvation Vol. 3, pg. 188 wrote:Even the most devout and sincere believers in the Bible realize that it is, like most any other book, filled with metaphor, simile, allegory, and parable, which no intelligent person could be compelled to accept in a literal sense. ...

The Lord has not taken from those who believe in his word the power of reason. He expects every man who takes his "yoke" upon him to have common sense enough to accept a figure of speech in its proper setting, and to understand that the holy scriptures are replete with allegorical stories, faith-building parables, and artistic speech. ...

Where is there a writing intended to be taken in all its parts literally? Such a writing would be insipid and hence lack natural appeal. To expect a believer in the Bible to strike an attitude of this kind and believe all that is written to be a literal rendition is a stupid thought. No person with the natural use of his faculties looks upon the Bible in such a light.
The quote is limited to the Bible but could be applied to anything we call scripture.

You're taking things too literal. That is a stupid thought. Do you have the natural use of all your faculties? Have fun working that one into a lesson. :angel:
I hereby place an order for one cheese pizza. -nibbler