Useful quote of the day...

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Re: Useful quote of the day...

Post by Ray DeGraw » 23 Apr 2016, 14:50

"We are either the ones holding the stones or the ones protecting the woman on the ground."
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 25 Apr 2016, 14:41

"Listen. I wish I could tell you it gets better. But it doesn't get better. YOU get better." - Joan Rivers
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 14 May 2016, 20:14

Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 17 May 2016, 20:02

We do not draw people to Christ by loudly discrediting what they believe, by telling them how wrong they are and how right we are, but by showing them a light that is so lovely that they want with all their hearts to know the source of it.

- Madeleine L'Engle

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 18 May 2016, 03:52

Ray DeGraw wrote:
We do not draw people to Christ by loudly discrediting what they believe, by telling them how wrong they are and how right we are, but by showing them a light that is so lovely that they want with all their hearts to know the source of it.

- Madeleine L'Engle
Nice Ray! That is going on my phone of quotes to be able to pull out at church.

tblue

Post by tblue » 24 May 2016, 12:47

Listening to the BoM Discussion on Jacob 1-3, 7...

Stanley Johnson said that a Sunday School teacher once asked:

"
Do you really believe another person's soul is as precious as your own?"
That certainly stopped the parade of thoughts. Seemed to me that part of the problem of not respecting the soul of others had to do with feeling my own soul was of little worth (or that I even had one?).

This past Christmas season, I actually heard the lyrics to "O Holy Night" where it says:

"
Long lay the world in sin and error pining
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth..."

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 26 May 2016, 03:59

Reposted from Ann
We are like sailors who on the open sea must reconstruct their ship but are never able to start afresh from the bottom. Where a beam is taken away a new one must at once be put there, and for this the rest of the ship is used as support. In this way, by using the old beams and driftwood the ship can be shaped entirely anew, but only by gradual reconstruction. - Otto van Neurath
I would only add, and often being fatigued with the never ending bailing of water.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 19 Jul 2016, 16:20

From Hugh Nibley
"
Apostasy never came by renouncing the gospel but always by corrupting it. No one renounces it today, and so we have the strange paradox of people stoutly proclaiming beliefs and ideals that they have no intention of putting into practice.
1. Every Sunday we thank God for our beautiful surroundings, which in many neighborhoods are being systematically destroyed by developers all around us.
2. We seek knowledge as our greatest treasure, while the poverty of most of our manuals and handbooks defies description.
3. As a Church authority commented to me after the last Conference, the President’s keynote address on the Book of Mormon was hardly mentioned during the rest of the Conference.
4. For years we hailed the Welfare Plan as a living demonstration of continued revelation—and then phased it out in deference to the private sector.
5. Since the days of Joseph Smith, presidents of the Church have made resounding pronouncements against the wicked practice of needlessly killing animals and birds for pleasure, and have been unheeded; we have just passed a law permitting fourteen-year-olds the pleasure of killing big game.
6. A great and inspired bicentennial message by one we called our prophet was instantly swept under the rug.
7. The oldest and best testimony to Joseph Smith’s first vision has received no attention whatever by the Latter-day Saints since its discovery in 1969, and so it goes.
8. The prophet Joseph studied biblical languages with dedicated zeal to help him understand the scriptures, but such studies are frowned upon by too many in our religious institutions.

“One Eternal Round,” CWHN 12:395-96
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 20 Jul 2016, 12:46

"Sometimes the greatest love is not found in the dramatic scenes that poets and writers immortalize. Often, the greatest manifestations of love are the simple acts of kindness and caring we extend to those we meet along the path of life."
Joseph B. Wirthlin
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 12 Aug 2016, 07:00

Be where you are; otherwise, you will miss your life. - Buddha