Useful quote of the day...

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
DarkJedi

Re: Useful quote of the day...

Post by DarkJedi » 20 Feb 2016, 05:10

There are just some kind of men ... who're so busy worrying about the next world they've never learned to live in this one.
Harper Lee, (Miss Maudie), To Kill a Mockingbird
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 21 Feb 2016, 13:04

Two things to remember in this life: take care of your thoughts when you are alone, and take care of your words when you are with people.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 23 Feb 2016, 13:45

What other people think of you is not your business. If you start to make that business your business, you will be offended for the rest of your life.
-Deepak Chopra
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 02 Mar 2016, 07:03

If you want to believe in something, then believe in it! Just because something isn't true, that's no reason you can't believe in it!...Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good. That honor, courage and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing. That good always triumphs over evil. And I want you to remember this, that love - true love - never dies! Remember that boy, remember that. Doesn't matter if it is true or not, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in....
Uncle Hub McCann (Robert Duvall) Second Hand Lions
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 02 Mar 2016, 08:27

This is interesting. I listened to a podcast (Hidden Brain from NPR) about a guy that was pretending to be a lady and was writing "lonely" men (for a small fee). After he was outed (and even sent to prison) and the recipients of the letters knew he had written them, some of them still kept the letters and claim they helped him get through a really rough time in his life. So he KNEW they were "fake", but they still motivated him. It was interesting.

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 09 Mar 2016, 13:55

“Being stuck serves a spiritual purpose. It's a bountiful harvest for transformation to occur. It tells us that a change is needed. More than any type of outward change, what's really being asked of us is an inner change. It could be a change of heart, change of priorities, a change of beliefs, or even a change of perspective.”

― Dana Arcuri, Reinventing You: Simple Steps to Transform Your Body, Mind, & Spirit

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 18 Mar 2016, 17:05

Remember: When things get hard, the life about which you complain is only a dream to many people.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 18 Mar 2016, 19:11

Ray DeGraw wrote:Remember: When things get hard, the life about which you complain is only a dream to many people.
And if you need some data to remind yourself of this, If The World Were 100 People

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 24 Mar 2016, 09:22

“Life is like a camera… Focus on what’s important. Capture the good times. Develop from the negatives, and if things don’t work out, take another shot.”

Ray DeGraw
Site Admin

Post by Ray DeGraw » 09 Apr 2016, 12:30

"Forgive yourself for not knowing what you didn't know before you learned it."
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken