Useful quote of the day...

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
mackay11

Re: Useful quote of the day...

Post by mackay11 » 14 Oct 2013, 01:02

"President Wilford Woodruff is a man of wisdom and experience, and we respect him, but we do not believe his personal views or utterances are revelations from God; and when 'Thus saith the Lord', comes from him, the saints investigate it: they do not shut their eyes and take it down like a pill."
Apostle Charles Penrose (Millennial Star 54:191)

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 14 Oct 2013, 01:03

President Kimball on receiving the 1978 revelation:
"Day after day, and especially on Saturdays and Sundays when there were no organizations [sessions] in the temple, I went there when I could be alone.
"I was very humble . . . I was searching for this . . . I wanted to be sure. . . . I had a great deal to fight . . . myself, largely, because I had grown up with this thought that Negroes should not have the priesthood and I was prepared to go all the rest of my life until my death and fight for it and defend it as it was."
(Anyone have a reference for this?)

Best I've found is: "Kimball, Edward, 48"

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 14 Oct 2013, 11:35

Einstein - God is subtle, but He is not malicious. (Unsourced)
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

HiJolly

Post by HiJolly » 14 Oct 2013, 15:51

mackay11 wrote:President Kimball on receiving the 1978 revelation:
"Day after day, and especially on Saturdays and Sundays when there were no organizations [sessions] in the temple, I went there when I could be alone.
"I was very humble . . . I was searching for this . . . I wanted to be sure. . . . I had a great deal to fight . . . myself, largely, because I had grown up with this thought that Negroes should not have the priesthood and I was prepared to go all the rest of my life until my death and fight for it and defend it as it was."
(Anyone have a reference for this?)

Best I've found is: "Kimball, Edward, 48"
How about

"We had this special prayer circle, then I knew that the time had come. I had a great deal to fight, of course, myself largely, because I had grown up with this thought that Negroes should not have the priesthood and I was prepared to go all the rest of my life till my death and fight for it and defend it as it was. But this revelation and assurance came to me so clearly that there was no question about it." (Deseret News, Church Section, January 6, 1979, page 4)
Men are not moved by events but by their interpretations.
-- The Stoic Epictetus

HiJolly

Post by HiJolly » 14 Oct 2013, 16:03

[in regard his book _The Miracle of Forgiveness_] "Spencer later seemed
to wish he had adopted a gentler tone. In 1977 he said to Lyle Ward,
his neighbor, 'Sometimes I think I might have been a little too strong
about some of the things I wrote in this book'. . . . When he heard of
others who read the book and became discouraged by a standard that
seemed to them unattainable, he wished he had communicated more
understanding and encouragement."

-- Edward Kimball in Lengthen Your Stride: The
Presidency of Spencer W. Kimball pp. 79-80
Men are not moved by events but by their interpretations.
-- The Stoic Epictetus

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 14 Oct 2013, 22:23

Thanks

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 14 Oct 2013, 22:23

At a reception McKay attended, the hostess served rum cake. ”All the guests hesitated, watching to see what McKay would do. He smacked his lips and began to eat.” When one guest expostulated, “‘But President McKay, don’t you know that is rum cake?’ McKay smiled and reminded the guest that the Word of Wisdom forbade drinking alcohol, not eating it.”
http://books.google.com/books?id=3UBXLI ... it&f=false

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 Oct 2013, 22:34

Good to hear from you, HiJolly!!
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 26 Oct 2013, 01:05

When God speaks to the people, he does it in a manner to suit their circumstances and capacities. He spoke to the children of Jacob through Moses, as a blind, stiff-necked people, and when Jesus and his Apostles came they talked with the Jews as a benighted, wicked, selfish people. They would not receive the Gospel, though presented to them by the Son of God in all its righteousness, beauty and glory. Should the Lord Almighty send an angel to re-write the Bible, it would in many places be very different from what it now is. And I will even venture to say that if the Book of Mormon were now to be re-written, in many instances it would materially differ from the present translation. According as people are willing to receive the things of God, so the heavens send forth their blessings. If the people are stiff-necked, the Lord can tell them but little.
Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses 9:311. [13 July 1862]

http://file.fairmormon.org/Journal_of_D ... s/9/64#311

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 26 Oct 2013, 01:12

B. H. Roberts was preoccupied with Joseph Smith’s role as translator. One reason was that critics turned Joseph’s phrase “by the gift and power of God” into a claim he never made, that of verbal inerrancy. Roberts wrote a whole treatise on these issues, concluding that Joseph Smith could not escape his own skin. Joseph’s vocabulary and grammar are as clearly imposed on the book as are fingerprints on a coin. When Harold Glen Clark asked President Roberts if the Book of Mormon would read differently had it been translated by someone else, B. H. Roberts replied, “Of course, not in substance and basic message but in modes of expression.” Although Joseph Smith affirmed he used a Urim and Thummim, the instrument did not do everything and the Prophet nothing. Roberts insisted that the translation process was neither so simple nor so easy a thing as has been supposed by both advocates and critics of the Prophet. On the contrary, “brain sweat” was required, and preparation, and labor. Further, as an illustration that exact word-for-word translation of one language into another is impossible, Roberts presented examples from the Greek New Testament showing that the word Master used in the authorized version is a translation of six different Greek words all having different shades of meaning. Judgment stands for eight different Greek words. He concluded, “Let us rid ourselves of the reproach of charging error, even though it be of forms of expression, unto God.” Elder Roberts hoped for the day when the President of the Church would authorize that the Book of Mormon be “made a classic in English . . . without changing the shade of a single idea or statement.” He did not live to see it become a classic in other translations.
B. H. Roberts and the Book of Mormon, Truman G. Madsen
https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/book-mormo ... ook-mormon