Thestrals, Dementers, Boggarts and Crises of Faith

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Kipper

Re: Thestrals, Dementers, Boggarts and Crises of Faith

Post by Kipper » 02 Jan 2013, 14:11

Ray Degraw wrote:
...Those who are able to navigate faith crises by seeing new and amazing things actually can experience joy and happiness in ways that others simply can't - because those new and amazing things are invisible to the others.
Although I have not completed my journey, I purposely stay with pro LDS sites like this one to help me find positive and amazing experiences during my faith crises navigation. I am fairly new to this site but Mormonmatters pod-casts helped loads. Although they are overall too liberal for my core beliefs I found that it is OK to question and even to require validation for things that don't sound right, and most importantly it was liberating to find out that the church, it's leaders and some history is not perfect, as I was lead to believe growing up.
Ray Degraw wrote: ...I believe this has direct application to faith crises - and the more intense the crisis, the more difficult it can be to explain to those who have not experienced anything similar. Just like the thestrals that are so obvious to those who can see them, everything about a faith crisis can be "invisible" to those who have not experienced what causes a faith crisis...
It is so hard to go through life daily with the feelings that a faith crises brings on while others simply can't understand the almost tangible feeling of depression that goes along with it.

There is so much in this post that intrigues me but I need to try harder to focus on fewer things in order to resolve one at a time. Even though I have not experienced grief initiated by witnessing death, the consequences or results described seem to be what apply to my situation and feelings . I just can't understand why after so many years, I cannot get through to anyone what my issues are (that's not entirely true. My limited ability to articulate and speak my thoughts is hindering. I am a much better thinker than talker.) These confounding issues are trees blocking the forest for me.

Don't mean to hi-jack, I'm sure there is another thread somewhere where continuing my post and evolving into a discussion would be more appropriate.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 27 May 2013, 22:21

I came across this post tonight while looking for another one and felt I should bump it up for new people to read. I hope it helps someone.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

GodisLove

Post by GodisLove » 28 May 2013, 08:12

I love this! Thank you.

I did have to chuckle because one of my own "Human Dementors/previous Bishop" will not allow Harry Potter to be read in his home. My husband and I have often joked about showing our patronus.I have also felt the same about some online dementing sources as well, their anger has/is consuming them. I so appreciate this site. I haven't posted much but have been lurking for months. Thank you to all those who do share.

I need to reread these books with my new perspective. Seriously awesome!
Not one Sparrow is forgotten
E'en the raven God will feed
And the lily of the valley
From His bounty hath its need

Then shall I not trust Thee, Father
In Thy mercy have a share?
And through faith and prayer, my Mother
Merit Thy protecting care?
Shaker Hymnal 1908

MayB

Post by MayB » 28 May 2013, 13:06

Thank you for bringing this post up to the top. I haven't read the books, but I love the movies. My son is reading them and I've been meaning to as well. These are great analogies. When I go to church now, I do feel like I am seeing things that no one else can see or perhaps just in a different light than everyone else.
MayB

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 Jun 2013, 18:34

I did have to chuckle because one of my own "Human Dementors/previous Bishop" will not allow Harry Potter to be read in his home.

Intellectually, I get it, but I will never really understand how some people can forbid books like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, etc. - and it's even more perplexing when they allow Narnia and not the others, just because C.S. Lewis was a vocal Christian. :roll:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 Aug 2013, 09:33

I am bumping up this thread in response to ruthie's comment on another thread. It also deals with how to see others who see and experience things differently than we do.

conflicted testimony

Post by conflicted testimony » 29 Aug 2013, 05:35

Great thread and insight - thank you!

Ruthiechan

Post by Ruthiechan » 29 Aug 2013, 16:44

Oh shi-.
I lied in my introduction. I did have a very serious faith crises. But it's all wrapped up in some very dark history.

There *was* a time where I felt no God and lacked a spiritual ear. I looked in my journals to verify, to make sure I wasn't crazy. Nope, not crazy (at least not about this). Before the dark I had spiritual experiences but I did not recognize them for what they were until I was much older. I had forgotten that I had no recognition. I had forgotten the dark where I felt no God and no spirituality. I spent all day yesterday mulling it over, which was very difficult to do emotionally. I'm still thinking about it. It hurts to remember, but I need to.

Thank you for this post. I copied it and saved it on my computer. I hope you put it up on your blog for others to see.

MockingJay

Post by MockingJay » 05 Feb 2015, 08:23

I decided to bump this up since Ray mentioned it in another thread. I remember reading this post shortly after I found this site and thinking. "I have come home." It's tremendously comforting to finally find and share with others who "see the thestrals."

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 05 Feb 2015, 11:12

Thanks for bumping this up MJ.

A good thread.

I think when people can accept or tell themselves they are "OK" despite the new vision of things or new light and knowledge or whatever their faith crisis brings anew, they can say it is OK, then it becomes easier to start feeling peace and finding new joy and happiness for what is lost instead of being stuck in it.

We all make stories on what to believe or shape our hope. We know Harry Potter isn't real, but we learn from it in some ways. Just like many bible stories teach us things about our world.

I also have used the analogy in the past of the 3-D optical illusion books where you can train your eyes to see pictures, and although the page doesn't change, a whole new view of things is made new to you. Some people just can't see it or train their eyes to see it, but it doesn't make it wrong because they can't see it.

So much of our reality is what we train our eyes to perceive, and therefore truth becomes adapted to our point of views, even if others don't see it the same way.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."