Garments and body image

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Garments and body image

Post by Curt Sunshine » 28 May 2013, 07:57

mackay11, my daughter was told that she can wear her garments and underwear any way she wants when she went through the temple a few months ago.

I don't want it in writing, except in the way that it already is in writing (that members can decide how to wear the garment) as quoted in the comments just above these. I want less in writing and more left up to us.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Roy

Post by Roy » 28 May 2013, 09:00

mackay11 wrote:Is that in writing anywhere. My bro-in-law (not active) can't stand that his wife wears her bra over her top. It was some old fuddy duddy who insisted on her first visit and she's never been able to change it.
My wife was told by somebody (probably from my old school MIL) that "bra on top" was the correct way. She now knows that it is up to her but she is already used to wearing it that way. I leave her underwear decisions up to her.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

momto11

Post by momto11 » 28 May 2013, 14:40

I actually like to wear my garments---and I wear maternity bottoms because they are more comfortable for my body build. A gal at the garment center told me there was another woman who did the same thing. I try to respect my garments, and ask my kids not to put them on the floor when they are folding clothes. My garments are starting to get pretty dingy looking, the lace is almost a light gray color--you can see it under a lightweight white shirt.
I wonder if It would be more appropriate for me to replace my garments since mine look so dingy. I have been told it is ok for me to take them in if I need to----I lost a lot of weight at one time with an illness.

I can't afford to replace both mine and my husbands garments--but I could buy a new pair for each of us once a month or once every two months--then they would look nicer.

When I am asked if I wear the garment night and day---I always answer yes---but it doesn't mean that I don't take them off to put on a pretty nightgown for my husband (and for me)--and I don't think the Lord would see anything wrong with that either.

When did they come out and say it was ok to wear your bra under your garment top---and when did they say it wasn't ok to hang them on the clothes line.

I have 3 daughters that have gotten married in the last 4 1/2 years. As they each received their instructions about garments, only once did I hear that they should not be hung on the clothesline where people could see them. Maybe it is a matter of hanging them where people can see them? Most people have clotheslines in their back yard---so it is pretty limited as to who could actually see them.

rebeccad

Post by rebeccad » 28 May 2013, 18:12

The problem is that what people are told is up to the whim of the temple worker who talks to them that day.
I would really like if what was written stayed the same, and nothing was added to it.
What we really need is consistency!
"The very same people who are good sometimes are the very same people who are bad sometimes, it's funny but it's true" -Fred Rogers

Bds4206

Garments and body image

Post by Bds4206 » 28 May 2013, 18:54

Roy wrote:
momto11 wrote:When My twins recently got married, the thing that surprised me, was that they told them they shouldn't be hung out on a clothes line where people could see----i had never been told that when i got married. I used to love to hang my garments on the line when I had one---because they smelled so good---at least my back yard was relatively private. If I should ever have a clothes line again, I willhave to find a way to hang them on the line and still be respectful of not letting them be out in public view---Maybe hand them between 2 rows of sheets?
I think there are many Garment do's and don'ts that are entirely made up. Ever heard that they shouldn't touch the floor, or that they should be washed seperately, or that they should be washed by hand? Have you heard that they shouldn't be seen by people who wouldn't understand their meaning, but that they shouldn't be removed just to avoid curious questions from others? Have you heard that the garment top and the garment bottom must always be worn together and you must never pin or otherwise modify the garment, but that the garments shouldn't be removed for activities that could reasonably be done with them on.

I think the garment should be respected both as a reminder of sacred promises and out of deference to all the individuals that view the garment itself as sacred. I believe how you choose to go about showing that respect should be up to you.
A lot of those things you have in the first paragraph are true. My endowment ceremony is pretty recent so I know y info was fresh. My garments are growing on me. I hated them at first but they are slowly becoming more comfortable. I can't wear them though if I know I'm about to sweat. Yard work, lifting etc they get wet and really uncomfortable.

Kipper

Post by Kipper » 29 May 2013, 06:52

The handbook and temple interview both said specifically to wear the garments when doing yard work. They also say to put them back on after swimming and not to lounge around the yard or house without them. This annoys me to no end. Is it immoral to feel the sun and wind on your body and skin? Close your eye, put headphones in and lounge on the patio? Spend Saturday morning working in the garden in shorts and no shirt?

Bds4206

Post by Bds4206 » 29 May 2013, 07:24

Kipper wrote:The handbook and temple interview both said specifically to wear the garments when doing yard work. They also say to put them back on after swimming and not to lounge around the yard or house without them. This annoys me to no end. Is it immoral to feel the sun and wind on your body and skin? Close your eye, put headphones in and lounge on the patio? Spend Saturday morning working in the garden in shorts and no shirt?
I agree. I hate wearing them when I sleep. I'm getting used to it, but that was a major adjustment. I live in Florida and when the heat index is 105 and I'm out cutting the grass the shirt comes off! :) I don't want to say what all I was told in the temple ceremony because i'm not supposed to talk about that stuff, but they gave me several examples of what should and should not be done with the garments. Some were a little out there I thought, but in all honesty most of it made sense....

wuwei

Post by wuwei » 29 May 2013, 07:55

I would just say that there are lots of things in church pamphlets and manuals that aren't in the actual covenants we made. And that's true with many things.

Ultimately those covenants are between us and God and since the cornerstone of Mormonism is being able to ask God what is right for ourselves I would just do what feels OK between you and God and not worry about pamphlets and manuals so much. If you feel you're in the right then I'd bet you are. And if anyone at church is overly concerned with how or when you wear your underwear I think that says more about them than you.

In my opinion the overly specific rules are there for those who are slothful servants and must be commanded in all things. ;)

GBSmith

Post by GBSmith » 29 May 2013, 08:13

Kipper wrote:... Is it immoral to feel the sun and wind on your body and skin? Close your eye, put headphones in and lounge on the patio? Spend Saturday morning working in the garden in shorts and no shirt?
Nope
wuwei wrote:...Ultimately those covenants are between us and God and since the cornerstone of Mormonism is being able to ask God what is right for ourselves I would just do what feels OK between you and God and not worry about pamphlets and manuals so much. If you feel you're in the right then I'd bet you are. And if anyone at church is overly concerned with how or when you wear your underwear I think that says more about them than you.

In my opinion the overly specific rules are there for those who are slothful servants and must be commanded in all things. ;)
Probably a subject for another thread but in an organization that's hierarchical with rules it's just easier to ask for a list than to decide for your self.

Kipper

Post by Kipper » 29 May 2013, 09:47

GBSmith wrote:
Kipper wrote:... Is it immoral to feel the sun and wind on your body and skin? Close your eye, put headphones in and lounge on the patio? Spend Saturday morning working in the garden in shorts and no shirt?
Nope

Probably a subject for another thread but in an organization that's hierarchical with rules it's just easier to ask for a list than to decide for your self.

I don't understand. There has to be parameters or rules to follow. Just doing what feels right to you lends itself to hundreds or thousands of meanings and no standard. The handbook and the message from the FP read during the interview are clear, for me less than a month ago. The message is no sunbathing while sitting or working in the yard.

"Endowed members should wear the temple garment both day and night. They should not remove it, either entirely or partially, to work in the yard or for other activities that can reasonably be done with the garment worn properly beneath the clothing. Nor should they remove it to lounge around the home in swimwear or immodest clothing. When they must remove the garment, such as for swimming, they should put it back on as soon as possible."

The choice is not what feels right but do I choose to obey. I don't like being put in this position but church leaders are good at doing that. This is very unreasonable.