Just Wondering

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Kalola

Just Wondering

Post by Kalola » 07 Jan 2012, 23:06

Why should I agree to be rebaptized if my DH, who is a member of record, is no longer welcome at church? :think:

GBSmith

Re: Just Wondering

Post by GBSmith » 07 Jan 2012, 23:23

I guess because baptism and what it means and church and what it is are two pretty different things.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 08 Jan 2012, 07:10

The bigger question is: why do you want to get rebaptized?
About who does it, it's between you & your DH. (Oh & maybe the Bishop. I forgot.)

Mike from Milton.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 09 Jan 2012, 22:04

Kalola, I was out of town at the end of last week and missed your post somehow. I'm sorry, since I LOVE to see your name whenever you post or comment. :D

Why should you be re-baptized? You should only if you want to be re-baptized. That should be independent of everything else - and I hope your husband understands. If he doesn't understand, and if it will be hard for him to accept, you need to make your decision with that in mind - but there isn't one right answer as to whether you should or shouldn't.

Finally, based on your wording, I would counsel you NOT to "agree to be baptized". That decision isn't anyone's with whom you should "agree". If you don't really want to have it happen right now, don't do it. Period. If you do want to have it happen, you choose the time and circumstances (who performs it, if it's open to the public or performed privately, etc.).

Fwiw, I know a member who was re-baptized in a completely private ceremony that wasn't announced in any way to the membership. The only people in attendance were the Bishop, the person who baptized her, one more official witness (along with the Bishop) and two female friends. That was it - no official program, no prayers before and after, no talks, just the ordinance itself.

It was one of the most spiritual baptisms I've ever experienced, since she was ready and wanted it so badly.

That's not shared to try to influence your decision in any way. I just thought I should share it. I really do hope you decide whatever you decide out of your own desire and nothing else. This one's for you and anyone else who is close enough to be part of it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 10 Jan 2012, 11:32

Without knowing the details, I'm kind of with Mike from Milton on this (and Ray), why is it important to you?

If the church doesn't welcome your DH, why are they soliciting your baptism? Are they picking and choosing who to welcome into the fold? That seems strange.

I think baptism is showing an outward commitment to Christ by wanting to take on His name and be a part of His Church. You need to be right with the church before you commit yourself to it. How you and your family are treated by the church impacts that, I would think.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."