Rules for Being Human

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Rules for Being Human

Post by hawkgrrrl » 02 Apr 2009, 11:42

This is something I read a long time ago that I have always liked. New-agey, but inspiring nonetheless:

RULES FOR BEING HUMAN

1. You will receive a body. You may like it or hate it, but it will be yours for the entire period this time around.
2. You will learn lessons. You are enrolled in a full time informal school called life. Each day in this school you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lessons or think them irrelevant and stupid.
3. There are not mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial and error and experimentation. The failed experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiment that ultimately works.
4. A lesson is repeated until learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it, you can then go on to the next lesson.
5. Learning lessons does not end. There is no part of life that does not contain lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned.
6. There is no better place than here. When your there has become here, you will simply obtain another there that will again, look better than here. It isn't.
7. Others are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.
8. What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. The choice is yours.
9. Your answers lie inside of you. The answers to life's questions lie inside you. All you need to do is look, listen, and trust.
10. You will forget all this.

Author Unknown

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Rules for Being Human

Post by Curt Sunshine » 02 Apr 2009, 11:50

Thanks, Hawk. That is awesome.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 02 Apr 2009, 14:49

hawkgrrrl wrote:7. Others are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.
I especially liked that one. Hmmm... does that say something about me? hehe
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 03 Apr 2009, 08:35

I love that list. Then again, New Agey doesn't put me off at all.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

HiJolly

Post by HiJolly » 03 Apr 2009, 09:13

Tom Haws wrote:I love that list. Then again, New Agey doesn't put me off at all.
Same here. Great list.

HiJolly
Men are not moved by events but by their interpretations.
-- The Stoic Epictetus

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 28 May 2009, 12:31

Something jbm275 said on another thread today reminded me of #9 on this list, so I thought I'd bring it forward again.

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 28 May 2009, 16:44

Yes, there is something about "look, listen, and trust" that is very profound. Not "bash, speak out, and doubt other people's words".

I didn't see that list until you brought it forward again. Thanks!!
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

jmb275

Post by jmb275 » 28 May 2009, 22:13

Loved it hawk, great list.

This one is actually my favorite I think
There is no better place than here. When your there has become here, you will simply obtain another there that will again, look better than here. It isn't.
It's so true. Once, again the time is now, and here to find your bliss.
I am like a huge, rough stone rolling down from a high mountain; and the only polishing I get is when some corner gets rubbed off by coming in contact with something else, striking with accelerated force against religious bigotry, priestcraft, lawyer-craft, doctor-craft, lying editors, suborned judges and jurors, and the authority of perjured executives, backed by mobs, blasphemers, licentious and corrupt men and women--all hell knocking off a corner here and a corner there.
- Joseph Smith, (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 304)

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 08 Mar 2018, 15:31

Bumping this.

Thank you for this post.

mom3

Post by mom3 » 08 Mar 2018, 18:10

Good Bump Amy.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman