I Know the Scriptures are True

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Orson
Site Admin

Re: I Know the Scriptures are True

Post by Orson » 11 Jan 2011, 08:44

cwald wrote:Perhaps a better question is do they have to be accurate to be true? I know that a compass does.
A compass does, but a ham sandwich doesn't.

How accurate is the love of a parent? You could say the parent of a serial killer has a complex form of love. If they are in denial it may even have elements that are false. Does that make it any less true? Faith can be a reflection of the source, it IS what the bearer makes it. Spiritual truth is personal truth. It works, that is what makes it true.

A compass will have no truth in the hands of someone who doesn't know what it is.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

cwald

Post by cwald » 11 Jan 2011, 08:57

Orson wrote:
cwald wrote:Perhaps a better question is do they have to be accurate to be true? I know that a compass does.
A compass does, but a ham sandwich doesn't.

How accurate is the love of a parent? You could say the parent of a serial killer has a complex form of love. If they are in denial it may even have elements that are false. Does that make it any less true? Faith can be a reflection of the source, it IS what the bearer makes it. Spiritual truth is personal truth. It works, that is what makes it true.

A compass will have no truth in the hands of someone who doesn't know what it is.
Nice. :smile:
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 11 Jan 2011, 09:40

cwald wrote:Nice. :smile:
Credit goes to Brian for that. It's his phrase.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

jwald

Post by jwald » 13 Jan 2011, 14:41

Sorry I've been out of touch for awhile. I go through phases where I just can't make myself get on the computer for awhile. I do it with TV and phones as well :oops:
Two of my least favourite words: 'know' and 'true' -- all in the the same short sentence.
Ugh I agree!

I loved last years theme that was focused on the Savior and was a little disappointed when I learned what this years theme was. As Primary prez I am in charge of sharing times in our little branch and decided to focus as much as I can on familiarizing the kids with the scriptures and less on whether or not they are true. I will leave that up to individual families. Luckily I am able to get away with stuff like this because our primary is predominately converts and less actives. It also helps that many of them can't read or are far below the reading level for their age. We will focus more on learning where the books are located, writing down our favorite scriptures and becoming familiar with the language of the Bible and BoM.

canadiangirl

Post by canadiangirl » 15 Jan 2011, 11:45

Thank you for all of the responses!!! So helpful. I found this little article by someone named Helen Kimball. Perhaps some of you know who this is and while the last name if familiar ;) I don't know her at all. Here is the link:

http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Christi ... iever.aspx

I like what she says here. I especially resonate with her "answer" to prayer and study. This article is helping me with the "know" word. I'm not sure if the culture will ever change but its nice to know that many members (meaning those here on this board and I hope many others) understand the problem with the word.

CG