Are you a Skeptical Believer or a Faithful Doubter?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
SamBee

Re: Are you a Skeptical Believer or a Faithful Doubter?

Post by SamBee » 28 May 2010, 01:47

Oxymormons, the lot of you. :lol:
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Dathon

Post by Dathon » 18 Jun 2010, 12:44

I'm an ambivalent agnostic. I vacillate between doubt and hope with excursions to anger, fear, flow and transcendence. I don't believe in one true church or that the nature of God is either knowable or can be communicated among human beings limited to space and time. I have faith in the potential of community and the power of compassion.

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 18 Jun 2010, 14:53

Wow, thanks for that Dathon. It is a very thought provoking response for me personally.

I relate to a lot of what you say. I think it's very human and in fact healthy to recognize when we take journeys through the entire spectrum (or a good part of it) of faith and question. I also don't believe that the true and complete nature of God can be understood or communicated by humans. However, I do think we can properly recognize certain Godly attributes, and relish our experience with them. Things like love, compassion, forgiveness, the gift of life, knowledge, etc.

I do believe there is one true church for me personally, and that another would not fill the unique requirements of my specific situation quite as well.

I also have faith in the potential of community, and see progress - even evolution - of community toward a greater good and a clearer understanding, however slow that progress may be.

FWIW I see myself as a questioning believer - the only type of believer that can be a true or authentic Mormon in my book.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 18 Jun 2010, 20:12

I Am, and I guess that's all I know about myself.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

just me

Post by just me » 18 Jun 2010, 20:23

Tom Haws wrote:I Am, and I guess that's all I know about myself.
Love.It. :D
Most of us, sooner or later, find that at critical points in our lives we must strike out on our own to make a path where none exists.~Elaine Pagels

Ultimately, you are the path-the path begins and ends with you.~Stephan Bodian

He who think he knows, doesn’t know: He who knows he doesn’t know, knows.~Sanskrit proverb

Dathon

Post by Dathon » 19 Jan 2012, 13:17

Orson wrote:Wow, thanks for that Dathon. It is a very thought provoking response for me personally.

I relate to a lot of what you say. I think it's very human and in fact healthy to recognize when we take journeys through the entire spectrum (or a good part of it) of faith and question. I also don't believe that the true and complete nature of God can be understood or communicated by humans. However, I do think we can properly recognize certain Godly attributes, and relish our experience with them. Things like love, compassion, forgiveness, the gift of life, knowledge, etc.

I do believe there is one true church for me personally, and that another would not fill the unique requirements of my specific situation quite as well.

I also have faith in the potential of community, and see progress - even evolution - of community toward a greater good and a clearer understanding, however slow that progress may be.

FWIW I see myself as a questioning believer - the only type of believer that can be a true or authentic Mormon in my book.
I can agree with what I understand you to have meant, but I could be misinterpreting. It may be that different people find G-d / transcendence in different faith or affinity communities. I believe that the CoJCoLDS has some truth that is viable for many people. I do not feel it has a monopoly on either divine authority or truth. I believe that if it affords what you need, then you ought to stick with it and follow your bliss. I also believe the 11th article of faith, that we ought to respect the right of all people to worship / or not according to the dictates of their own conscience.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 19 Jan 2012, 14:54

I also believe the 11th article of faith, that we ought to respect the right of all people to worship / or not according to the dictates of their own conscience.

That's one of my favorite "Mormon" quotes of all time - and I know Orson agrees with that sentiment.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Arwen

Post by Arwen » 19 Jan 2012, 15:16

I believe in the Atonement of Christ.

I doubt and am skeptical of some things people teach about him.

I believe there is truth in all belief systems and churches.

I would question Christ himself about things I think are weird...and I think he would approve of me questioning him.
Not all who wander are lost

mercyngrace

Post by mercyngrace » 19 Jan 2012, 19:31

Orson wrote:FWIW I see myself as a questioning believer - the only type of believer that can be a true or authentic Mormon in my book.
I agree with this completely, Orson. All truth is part of God's truth which means that as "Mormons" we are supposed to be accepting of all truth, whatever forms it takes and regardless of its messenger.

It's ironic that we are taught this principle in the temple and are literally face to face with a reminder of it every day and yet so quickly forget. Our tendency is to dogma defenders rather than truth seekers. We literally and figuratively miss the mark.
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 19 Jan 2012, 20:36

I agree with all of this.