Are you a Skeptical Believer or a Faithful Doubter?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Roy

Re: Are you a Skeptical Believer or a Faithful Doubter?

Post by Roy » 20 Jan 2012, 13:42

I find more affinity with the term Faithful Doubter. I believe that I am contributing to the betterment of the organization through my doubts. Through the concept of optimal organizational conflict, a certain amount of disagreement and dissent in an organization is quite healthy.
Orson wrote:I also have faith in the potential of community, and see progress - even evolution - of community toward a greater good and a clearer understanding, however slow that progress may be.
I consider myself to be part of this progress/evolution - not necessarily because the church is evolving from a lesser to a greater state or from less truth to greater truth, but because I believe in the church's ability to adapt to the needs of the membership. As I calmly and quietly express my needs as different than the needs of previous generations and if those shifting needs are part of a greater trend among the rising generation at large then I may expect the church to slowly, ever so slowly, adapt to better meet those needs. OTOH if my needs are always part of a distant minority then it is less likely that I will see great shifts in this direction. Yet I stay, and by staying I contribute to the diversity and tolerance of the community as a whole. I see this effort as "faithful."
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 20 Jan 2012, 15:21

Roy, I wish I was as optimistic. You said:
...I believe in the church's ability to adapt to the needs of the membership.
I come from a business or Corporate environment. A "Skeptical Believer" is usually looked at as working against the leadership, CEO or President of a company.
I have tried to play that role from time to time & the result is you're looked at as not a "team player". From my limited experience, most of the leaders in the LDS
church come from business backrounds & bring the same attitudes with them.

Mike from Milton.

afterall

Post by afterall » 20 Jan 2012, 20:42

I am so impressed by the ability of everyone to express themselves. Each of your answers has resonated with me. I guess I would say I am just a trying to hang in there believer. The primary song, "I'm trying to be like Jesus" runs through my head.

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 10 May 2018, 11:22

These 2 quotes summarize my current belief system, which is undergoing extensive rennovations :D
Brian Johnston wrote:
19 May 2010, 21:19
I'm a skeptical doubter. I am skeptical about my doubts :D
just me wrote:
20 May 2010, 12:58
I was a gullible believer. I've always believed everything everyone says. I believe everything my leaders told me. I believed way too much from books, Internet and TV. I have to struggle NOT to believe the crap people spew. Things that are proved false I can usually stop believing (now), but other than that I still wonder about a lot of things. I struggle not to believe conspiracy theories-they have as much "evidence" as anything else out there.
Now that I know just how easily people can rewrite history and "facts" can be altered. Well, I just don't know what to believe anymore. So I don't believe anything as a final truth or final say. Everything everyone ever says is merely their view of the world. That's cool. That is how it should be.

So now I am a skeptical nonbeliever. I don't even really believe my own beliefs. I don't even believe that sentence I just wrote. I don't believe anything at all. Everything is nuanced and paradoxical.

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 18 May 2018, 14:47

Here is a blog post at Wheat and Tares that captures how I feel about this subject.