Home teaching - how to teach it "correctly"?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
cwald

Re: Home teaching - how to teach it "correctly"?

Post by cwald » 04 May 2010, 22:24

George wrote:Please don't bloody me up, but I think the day of Home Teaching is finished. I think the program has run a good race, but needs to be terminated.
I almost agree with you, in fact, I would say I can give you a 90% clause on this one. I think the very term "Home Teaching" is such put-off as to make the whole program ineffective. Maybe we just need a name change? I also think that perhaps HT just needs some tweeking, rather than an entire overhaul. ????

George, here is the problem I have though. I don't care about ensign messages and prayers, and I really don't care about the "monthly visits" and the reports and the PPI with the EP and HPL. What I do personally care about it, is when there are people who actually NEED the spiritual service provided by HT, ask for that service (the BP can't do it all) and if we do away with the HT program, who is going to do it? I agree with you, to do HT just to do HT is, in my opinion, a waste of time and energy - for both the HT and the person being home taught. However, like Ray said earlier on this thread, the spirit of HT is pretty solid - I think it is SUPPOSE to be all about service, and we have turned it into a numbers game. I think if HT was done CORRECTLY, we could just do away with church on Sundays altogether. There we go, do away with the three hour block, and spend that time doing what we are really suppose to be doing with HT/VT and I think we would be far better off as a religion.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

cwald

Post by cwald » 04 May 2010, 22:36

George wrote: Email, Facebook and the like can link us immediately to most everyone.
I may be teaching false doctrine - but I DO consider these, and many other similar examples, as "home teaching", and I encourage those in the branch to do the same. Most of my HT is done at the post office, barn or field, little league baseball games, the pub and via text messaging,

George wrote: I never once had a companion (other than my non-member twin and occasionally my dog (who stayed in the car).
Yeah, I hear ya. I haven't had a companion in 12 years. Occasionally when I "occasionally" do a "traditional" HT visit, I would take the wife. Now when I "occasionally" do the traditional HT visit, I take my deacon son.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 05 May 2010, 02:40

George wrote:We don't live in a agriculture world of scattered farmhouses anymore. Email, Facebook and the like can link us immediately to most everyone. I did my home teaching faithfully for half a century.
Well, some people still live in those "scattered farmhouses". I used to be one!

No matter what people say about facebook (horrifically overrated), it's not a substitute for face to face contact.

I think HT might be helpful for some members but not others. Certain elderly people might appreciate it, but I can't see twenty-somethings getting into it.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

bridget_night

Post by bridget_night » 05 May 2010, 03:31

Best home or visiting teachers I have ever had was when one of them came alone and I was alone and could really share some serious problems I was having in my family. To be affirmed as a person and feel that someone understand and really cared about my problems made a huge difference. You can tell when someone really cares or is just doing their numbers. I hate it when they just give a lecture or read the message. It was the same thing on my mission. So much push to teach discussions and get the numbers in that it lost the Spirit.

George

Post by George » 05 May 2010, 12:28

I don't feel guilty about passing on home teaching. I gave it my best for half a century. Perhaps some of the problems I encountered were because (1), I never could get a companion to go with me, (2), I was single through a couple of decades of those HT assignments. Married couples seemed ill as ease with me, while single/divorced members were a bit more accepting of my visits. Though I often took gifts or little food items to share, it was always a one-way street. When several major crises entered my life, no HT families called (a next door neighbor brought soup and emptied my urinal for three days once, a true Saint). It's a uphill climb being single in the LDS church. I speak from experience. And yet half our membership will be single at one point or another in their lives. I mentioned before about two successes in HT. I helped a bitter member whose active (just for basketball) teenage son died. She let me baptize her two younger children (she didn't attend though). I helped a non-member wife of a inactive member, by arranging a memorial service when her mother died suddenly. I used LDS contacts, but the service was very secular, since her mom was an atheist (think balloons).