Can I wear a cross

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
Journey1

Can I wear a cross

Post by Journey1 » 24 Mar 2010, 15:46

I know as a religion we do not practice wearing a cross. I even bought for myself a little small cross but feel so uncomfortable wearing it that I do not wear it. I don't want the negative repercussion it would bring to me or my family. It seems so silly to me to not recognize the meaning of the cross. I have read talks by General Authorities on the subject and I just don't understand why it is so important that we stand apart from other christian religions. It makes me sad when I see some punk kid all decked out in several crosses on his neck being used for bling but that is not what it means to me. To me it is a reminder of my savior, a reminder that he died for me, that through him I am forgiven, that I have eternal life & that I acknowledge that I need a savior. I am a convert to the church so I grew up recognizing the cross as a sign of the sacrifice of a loving savior and to wear one to me is an honor to him and the place he holds in my life and in my heart. Please share with me your feeling on this subject it is so important to me. Thank You

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Can I wear a cross

Post by Curt Sunshine » 24 Mar 2010, 16:06

Absolutely - as long as you are willing to deal with people who won't understand.

and as long as you don't hold it in front of you in public and pray to it. :lol:

There's a good post somewhere (Mormon Matters, I think) about this. I'll try to find it, if my old brain remembers. (Hawk and Brian, if you know where it is, please link it.)
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

HiJolly

Post by HiJolly » 24 Mar 2010, 16:10

I agree with Ray. But I wouldn't flaunt it or anything.

HiJolly
Men are not moved by events but by their interpretations.
-- The Stoic Epictetus

nightwalden

Post by nightwalden » 24 Mar 2010, 17:36

The LDS church chooses not to use the cross as a symbol but we, as individuals can use and wear whatever symbols we want.

I could see myself asking someone at church why they are wearing a cross because they obviously have a viewpoint that differs from the norm and I'd be curious. No judgement of course. So you may just want to have some responses thought out a little bit for when people ask. I have always liked seeing a small cross pendant on a necklace.

flower

Post by flower » 24 Mar 2010, 19:06

I love symbolic jewelry, and have always wanted to have and wear a cross. I never have for reasons the same as you. I have never seen anyone in church wear one, but if I ever did I would be impressed that they were courageous enough to wear such a beautiful and meaningful symbol, which obviously means something to them.

I have always heard that we don't use the cross as a symbol because we don't want to focus on Christ's death, but rather his resurrection. Yet, the cross is such a recognized symbol of Christianity. Are we not Christians? I don't get how a cross should in anyway be a negative thing to wear.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling

http://tinymosquito.blogspot.com/

swimordie

Post by swimordie » 24 Mar 2010, 19:38

You could get your nose pierced at the same time you start wearing a cross and see which one gets the most attention... :twisted: :lol:
Perfectionism hasn't served me. I think I am done with it. -Poppyseed

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 24 Mar 2010, 20:45

There was a very good podcast on Mormon Expression about this awhile ago. As I recall the aversion to the cross is a more modern concept. In the early days of the church it was not such a big deal.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 24 Mar 2010, 22:20

Hmm. This thread makes me wonder what might be a nice UU pin I could put on my shirt. :D
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

Euhemerus

Post by Euhemerus » 25 Mar 2010, 06:16

I recognize I'm outside the norm, but I would love to see someone wearing a cross to church. Like nightwalden, I would be curious and want to know more!

I say wear it. Act like there's nothing wrong with it (since there isn't). The reason, really is entirely cultural. It's one of those things that a leader once alluded to and the members now insist it's doctrine (see the one earring "doctrine" for a modern equivalent).
Don't believe everything you think
- bumper sticker I saw one day

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 25 Mar 2010, 09:07

Interestingly, there seems to be a major trend amongst non-Christians, or post-Christians, i.e. people in traditionally Christian societies to criticise the cross. One comedian - and I hope you don't mind me saying this - said it was sick for Christians to parade around a torture instrument like that, and that it would be the last thing Jesus would wish to see if he came back. In fact I think the joke was that if Jesus has gone to the chair, Christians would wear miniature electric chairs around their neck... (I've heard another variant of it, with gallows) Well, that's in extremely bad taste, and I don't really find it funny, but I can understand why some people might say it. I believe some churches now use a crown to represent Jesus (a symbol which originate in Mithraism, so I'm told) to represent his kingship. While fundamentalists don't like this, all the evidence points towards early Christians NOT using the current cross, but the Chi-Rho*, the sign of the fish, alpha and omega etc. Fundamentalists are opposed to this as they seem to think that we should remember the cross as a sign of God's love, and willingness to serve us.

I have some friends who are Catholics, and Catholic art, as you've probably noticed has often emphasises the gruelling torture and suffering of the crucifixion. The Twelve Stations are a common feature in their churches... Mel Gibson's bloodfest The Passion of the Christ is a really extreme example of this - and I don't recommend seeing it. However, I've always wondered if perhaps all this emphasis on the death and suffering of Jesus overshadows the rest. For example, I think it is a bad thing to emphasise the cross at the expense of his other teachings, as it could engender a sado-masochistic streak. Also, in the COJCOLDS, there is a major emphasis on his resurrection (more so than his crucifixion? Not sure...) which is a positive thing, and a sign of conquest, rather than just the suffering aspects.

I do have a confession to make... Even when I haven't been anywhere near a church (of any description) or been a real believer, I've had a cross up in my room. I used to get some really bad nightmares, but since having the thing up, I've had far fewer, so it's either keeping something nasty at bay, or has had some kind of positive subliminal effect on me.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_Rho
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."