If I could choose my calling what would it be?

Public forum for those seeking support for their experience in the LDS Church.
findingmyownfooting

If I could choose my calling what would it be?

Post by findingmyownfooting » 22 Mar 2010, 10:54

I'm sure we've all thought about this from time to time. I've been meaning to start this topic but just didn't get around to it. The topic of what calling you wouldn't accept has started so I thought it would be nice to have the opposite topic going at the same time.
When I was in music class in school we were allowed to request what instrument we wanted to have. We had to give 3 suggestions ranked in order of what we wanted most. Some times I think this kind of method would be helpful with in the church. First of all it's a proactive method in getting it's members to think about serving in the church, and it could be a good way of matching people to callings effectively. Having said that I do enjoy the learning I get from being in a calling I may not have chosen myself.
Anyways, I'll go first. I would like to be nursery leader again. I loved working with the little ones. I did not make it a babysitting calling, it was organized and productive. I just loved their sweet spirits. Being a nursery leader is good because you don't really have to answer to anyone. You have a member of the primary presidency over you but they can't really tell you exactly how to run it because they aren't there. You work with your assistants a little like a presidency but with out all the meetings. I had it set up so that we (the assistants and I) would rotate our duties and one of us would be off every 3 weeks. The other part I liked was that I could kick of my shoes and relax when it wasn't too busy.
Religion has the power to use the amazing abilities of our mind. When a person truly believes the act of practising something will bring them happiness then putting into practise that belief WILL bring them happiness.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: If I could choose my calling what would it be?

Post by Curt Sunshine » 22 Mar 2010, 11:01

Nursery leader was wonderful! I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I'm not exactly shy, and I really like to organize and give talks (surprise, surprise) - so I really enjoyed being on the High Council. It helped to have a sincere, humble Stake President whom I admire greatly.

I had an incredibly humble, gentle, loving Bishop when I was a counselor - and the Bishopric included people with radically different political and religious views. I'd choose that calling if I could choose the Bishop, and especially if I could recreate the diversity of the Bishopric.

Primary pianist - again, in a heartbeat. Listening to the kids sing . . . gives me chills again just remembering it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

katielangston

Post by katielangston » 22 Mar 2010, 12:46

Relief Society instructor. I LOVE to teach and I love, love, love Mormon women. :-)

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 22 Mar 2010, 12:52

I would love to get the bishop to allow me to create and lead a new calling, something like Gospel Questions seminars.

A chance for people to get together and discuss what questions they have or issues they have with the church, and work through them as a support group (pretty much like this forum but in person).

I don't know if it would get as personal as some of our discussions on this board, since people would be face to face, but at least we could review church history and subjects that people have on their minds but don't get addressed in church.

I would love a calling like that, if it helps people get over angst, co-dependency, and disillusionment.

I think people should have a place to go to get some information besides having to seek things on their own on the Internet.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

HiJolly

Post by HiJolly » 22 Mar 2010, 14:06

Amen, Heber13. Me too. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that. We had a fireside about 9 months ago, but the speaker was this 80+ year old(or was it 90) who was taught all his Mormon beliefs from his 80 year old Grandpa, and man, he sounded just like Brigham Young or something. We got into God's wives and polygamy and creating worlds and I think most of the members hadn't heard ANY of it before. Since then, nothing. No surprise, eh?

I'd like to take a shot at it. But how to sell the idea? After all, I don't think inoculation can happen without some potential collateral damage -- someone losing their faith. It's a tough one.

Actually, I *was* able to choose my main calling. It is a pretty unusual calling. And my secondary calling I was able to reject without guilt, due to my first calling, but I accepted because I really wanted to teach the adult Gospel Doctrine class.

My fav. calling before these was Nursery. I loved those kids, and being able to eat the treats and sing to them and act like a fool. They didn't care, they just had fun, and so did I. Way more fun than Bishopric, though the member's respect was nice for my ego.

HiJolly
Men are not moved by events but by their interpretations.
-- The Stoic Epictetus

SMiLe

Post by SMiLe » 22 Mar 2010, 14:54

I really like the calling that I have now in Young Men's. I just wish it involved less meetings... It's not the calling, it's the overhead that's killing me!

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 22 Mar 2010, 14:58

I am a firm believer in telling these things to our local leaders. Look, let's be honest. A good deal of callings are done on a very practical level -- they need someone in the position. I have found many times that I end up with callings in areas that I enjoy because I tell the Bishopric what I am interested in doing.

For me it is scouting and teaching adult classes.

I really enjoyed my many many years in nursery too BTW. It's one of the most underrated callings in the whole Church.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

nightwalden

Post by nightwalden » 22 Mar 2010, 21:29

I love being the membership clerk. I skip Sunday School to take care of all the things I need to do because the computer is needed after church for tithing. I have no meetings that I have to attend. Every couple months I exchange a couple emails with the bishop to take care of some business. I really like it. But lately I have been wanting a calling where I have more influence in the ward. I feel like it's my ward and I would like to do what I can to make it better. With no voice in ward council or anything it's difficult to feel like I can make much of a difference on the ward level.

LaLaLove

Post by LaLaLove » 22 Mar 2010, 21:55

Sunbeams. That little class of three year olds was so peaceful ... definately the most Christlike spirit in church that I've ever felt was learning from the little children. No offense to grownups but the little people seem to be the only ones not worried about keeping up appearances..They tell the truth no matter how many people look at them funny - Thats my kind of people. :D

just me

Post by just me » 22 Mar 2010, 22:01

First female priest. 8-)

Okay, actually, I am really liking Primary Secretary except I think I need a break from callings. Anything NON-teaching (although I love to teach) is the best place for me right now.
Most of us, sooner or later, find that at critical points in our lives we must strike out on our own to make a path where none exists.~Elaine Pagels

Ultimately, you are the path-the path begins and ends with you.~Stephan Bodian

He who think he knows, doesn’t know: He who knows he doesn’t know, knows.~Sanskrit proverb